atheist tea partiers/ weird combo

Discuss Irish and International politics
funkyderek

Re: atheist tea partiers/ weird combo

Post by funkyderek » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:37 am

Ryano wrote:"Anarchists oppose the idea that power and domination are necessary for society, and instead advocate more co-operative, anti-hierarchical forms of social, political and economic organization." Wiki.

There is no "redefinition" of anarchism in my post. Oppose idea of power and domination = Freedom. Advocate more co-operative forms of social/political/economic organization = Helping your fellow humans or as you put it "being nice".
I'll accept that in order to be an anarchist, one needs to advocate freedom and cooperation, but that does not mean that anyone who advocates freedom and cooperation is an anarchist. My original objection was that you seemed to be saying they were ("most open minded people are anarchists").

In fact, you go on to mention the vast spectrum of different beliefs that fall under the anarchist banner, ranging from extreme left to extreme right. The only thing they have in common is that they do not believe in any form of government. That is what anarchism means.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:46 am

an·ar·chism (nr-kzm)
n.
1. The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished.
2. Active resistance and terrorism against the state, as used by some anarchists.
3. Rejection of all forms of coercive control and authority: "He was inclined to anarchism; he hated system and organization and uniformity" (Bertrand Russell).
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Ryano
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ryano » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Fair point Funky!
Thanks Tulip - I think 3. refers specifically to egoism/individualism, and Russell must be referring to a particular person, as an aversion to uniformity and organisation are not common in social anarchism. The rest of course is spot on! :)
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Ryano wrote:Fair point Funky!
Thanks Tulip - I think 3. refers specifically to egoism/individualism, and Russell must be referring to a particular person, as an aversion to uniformity and organisation are not common in social anarchism. The rest of course is spot on! :)
LOL I just copied and pasted what the free online dictionairy said since the discussion started to go about the definition.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.