Gay men blood donor ban to be lifted in UK

Discuss Irish and International politics
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Gay men blood donor ban to be lifted in UK

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:12 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14824310

I was told that such a ban is in place in Ireland too. Is there a ban in place for people who had sex in Africa too?
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
funkyderek

Re: Gay men blood donor ban to be lifted in UK

Post by funkyderek » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:29 am

Not quite.
Ministers have agreed to let men who have not had sex with another man in the past 12 months to donate from November.
So, sexually active gay men are still banned from donating blood. But, for example, Conservative MPs who only had gay sex in public school will now be able to donate.
I was told that such a ban is in place in Ireland too. Is there a ban in place for people who had sex in Africa too?
No, but there is a ban on British people giving blood. Anyone who lived in the UK in the 1990s (or thereabouts, not sure of the exact dates) is prohibited from donating blood here in case they have mad cow disease.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:46 pm

So many things wrong with this :roll: Anyone who deems themselves "sexually active" could potentially be at risk for carrying HIV. And if you want to say there's a higher incidence among gay men, well what if a woman had sex with a bisexual man? (Or a gay man? It happens.)

To be honest, it's irresponsible to take anyone's blood for granted, but instead of stereotyping, it would be more sensible (though of course problematic) to ask blood donors to get mandatory HIV-screens.

While I don't have much faith in people always doing what's right, I think people who are HIV positive or believe they could be, tend to stay away from blood donor clinics.

Worth noting that this is still common practise in the US, as well. My father became quite annoyed when they asked him three different questions about whether or not he was gay, and then refused to take his blood anyway because he'd been in Ireland in the 1990's, due to mad cow. (I believe he lectured them at that point, saying that there were no cases of mad cow in Ireland, and pointing out that they accept Canadian blood, in spite of there being cases of mad cow in Canada.)

I think they deeply offended his principles, as he was only trying to do a good thing :wink:
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:25 pm

I thought that all blood donors had HIV screening? I thought this ban exists because of the higher risk on other viruses in the blood, they cannot run every test in the book I suppose.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Well, bloods are screened for prominent viruses such as HIV and syphillis after they've been donated, rather than pre-screened. I wasn't aware that gay men had a significantly higher incidence of viruses (other than HIV/STD's) than the straight population. I presume anal sex is the cause for the higher incidence of other viruses (if any?) - do they ask straight people whether they've engaged in anal sex? (I haven't donated blood in this country so I don't know).

Generally, if someone has a virus (such as the common cold, of which there are over two hundred varieties and cannot feasibly be screened for in the blood), they show symptoms, and people are asked if they've recently been ill. So, it seems to me that the danger of a gay man giving unsuitable blood - despite having no symptoms of a virus and despite the blood being screened for a variety of particular viruses - is not much higher than a straight person giving unsuitable blood. It's a small medical fact blown out of proportion by prejudice. (Though anyone with more medical knowledge than myself is welcome to correct me.)
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:28 pm

I just got that out of the article rather then something I know or any reliable source for that matter. I did not know that gay people have more viruses at all. I wondered if that was true?

I will see if the Netherlands have such a ban.. google here I come :wink:
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:34 pm

OK in the Netherlands it is formulated different. They say that anyone who displays risk behaviour is excluded. Not only gay man but everyone who has risk behaviour that would increase the change of gettin syphilis, hepatitus and HIV. They do that to exclude infection risk because there is a blid spot; when somebody is just infected it won't show up on the test.

That is the full explanation.

I wonder (just like you) if a gay guy (because they are not talking woman) really have an icreased risk?
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:55 pm

The increased risk is anal sex - and I just asked the boyfriend: they don't ask a general "have you had anal sex" question.

The issue is one of sexual practise. Anybody who has anal sex, or unprotected sex, or is sexually promiscuous will have a higher incidence of undetected viruses.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:23 am

Guys I can't give blood.

Why?

Because I lived in the UK a high risk lifestyle and all...read risk from v CJD

And me a vegetarian :roll:
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
yellowfish
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by yellowfish » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm

I was a regular donor in England, can not donate over here due to the apparent CJD risk. I am happy enough that they have categories of risk, I do not see it as an insult if they say that certain activities place you at a higher risk level, this is not the equivalent of saying that they deem behavior inappropriate, as long as there is a rationale basis for the ban then i can live with it. However if CJD is the sleeping danger that they believe it might be then many of us are potentially in trouble. I was young and full of p1ss during the period of the apparently infected meat and made a show of patriotic support by eating only British meat.
I could yet find my more current belief in rationality over faith being proven in a most unpleasant manner :o -But lets hope not or many people including those using UK blood supplies could be in the same boat.