2011 Presidential Election

Discuss Irish and International politics
mkaobrih

Re: 2011 Presidential Election

Post by mkaobrih » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 am

Article in the Sunday Business Post about how Michael D is going to have a Humanist reflection when he's inaugurated. He's invited Humanists to be there as well. I'll post a link when yesterdays post goes online (10ish). Drat I think is a payed service now.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Mike Galway

Post by Mike Galway » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:44 am

Hi all, just joined today, First post
I am not very politically minded, but just wanted to add to this topic that im very happy to see that we have an atheist in the office
Not something that could have been imagined just a short few years ago
Maybe we really are growing up as a country
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:26 am

Welcome to the Forum!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Mike Galway wrote: very happy to see that we have an atheist in the office
do we :shock: ?
والقس هو مجنون
UDS

Post by UDS » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:45 am

chemicals wrote:
"We don't know" has to be the only honest answer we can give. Higgins has made very clear his aspiration that the Irish state and Irish society should be inclusive, and this certainly extends to atheism. A few people have tried to leverage this into a claim that Higgins himself is, or may be, atheist but to be honest I think there's more wishful thinking than strict logic or evidence-based reasoning going on there.

I've seen Higgins publicly identified as an atheist, and I've seen Higgins publicly identified as a Catholic, but neither identification came from him.

I've never seen a report of him identifying himself as Catholic or atheist or any other religions position, and so far as I know he has never been asked, at leasts publicly, on the record. And I think that's a good thing. I'd hate to live in a society in which a "must be a Catholic" religious test for electability was replaced either with a "must be an atheist" or "must not be a Catholic" test. I'm much happier with a society in which Higgins's self-identification in religious terms is so much not an issue for the electorate that it doesn't get discussed in the campaign.

Which, it seems, is where we are.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:18 pm

UDS wrote:
chemicals wrote:
"We don't know" has to be the only honest answer we can give. Higgins has made very clear his aspiration that the Irish state and Irish society should be inclusive, and this certainly extends to atheism. A few people have tried to leverage this into a claim that Higgins himself is, or may be, atheist but to be honest I think there's more wishful thinking than strict logic or evidence-based reasoning going on there.

I've seen Higgins publicly identified as an atheist, and I've seen Higgins publicly identified as a Catholic, but neither identification came from him.

I've never seen a report of him identifying himself as Catholic or atheist or any other religions position, and so far as I know he has never been asked, at leasts publicly, on the record. And I think that's a good thing. I'd hate to live in a society in which a "must be a Catholic" religious test for electability was replaced either with a "must be an atheist" or "must not be a Catholic" test. I'm much happier with a society in which Higgins's self-identification in religious terms is so much not an issue for the electorate that it doesn't get discussed in the campaign.

Which, it seems, is where we are.
Great Post!
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver