How did you/ will you vote?

Discuss Irish and International politics
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

How did you/ will you vote?

Post by Beebub » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:18 am

What a hoot this campaign has been. Such welcome relief from the doom and gloom merchants. Gallagher's implosion has been fascinating and yet we don't know if he has actaully imploded. He could just as easily hang on to his vote as lose half of it.

I voted for Michael D. The Labour party for me is the party who's agenda is closest to ours. Of course as President, Higgins can do nothing direct to help our cause, but I'm impressed by his response to the questions posed by AI.

Caveat: I'm a member of the Labour party, however my decision to join was directly affected by my membership of AI. I joined earlier this year and campaigned for Ivana Bacik, specifically because of her stance on our issues.

I voted against the Oireachtas enquiry referendum as I don't think there are enough safe guards in place. The Referendum Commission, which is an impartial body set up to simply provide the public with the facts regarding the referenda (when did this word become referendums??), says the following in relation to the ability of the Dail to decide whether potential enquiries are 'Matters of general importance':
The Courts may be asked to review such decisions but it would be difficult to challenge successfully any such decision by the Dáil and/or the Seanad, given the wording of the amendment.
I voted in favour of the judges' pay referendum as I don't buy the argument regarding the impartiality of judges being diminished by a yes vote. Where were the judges concerns about their impartiality being called into question when the Dail was increasing their pay?
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: How did you/ will you vote?

Post by chemicals » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:47 am

Beebub wrote:Where were the judges concerns about their impartiality being called into question when the Dail was increasing their pay?
like it ! :D
والقس هو مجنون
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:42 pm

I voted 1 for Norris, 2 for Higgins. I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the others.
I voted No on the Oireachtas enquiry referendum and spoiled my vote on the judges' pay referendum as I thought the proposed amendment was unnecessarily clumsy. It should have been a vote on whether to remove the relevant section, not add to it.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:35 pm

1- Higgins
2 - Norris
3- Mitchell - i know i know :oops: - but he is honest I suppose
4- Davis - harmless enough-and no chance anyway
5- Maguinness - For nobbling Baldie Bertie

nothing for BB or Rosie the holy septic tank :lol:

Referendums
yes - judges never worried when the wages went up -thanks beebub :D
yes - I listened to that little fascist voice i hear sometimes -The "round em all up and shoot the lot of em the corrupt bas**rds " 3am voice ,the no side will probably win any way -no harm done :wink:
والقس هو مجنون
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:42 pm

chemicals wrote:1- Higgins
2 - Norris
3- Mitchell - i know i know :oops: - but he is honest I suppose
4- Davis - harmless enough-and no chance anyway
5- Maguinness - For nobbling Baldie Bertie

nothing for BB or Rosie the holy septic tank :lol:

Referendums
yes - judges never worried when the wages went up -thanks beebub :D
yes - I listened to that little fascist voice i hear sometimes -The "round em all up and shoot the lot of em the corrupt bas**rds " 3am voice ,the no side will probably win any way -no harm done :wink:
Your vote for Mitchell is irrelevent so I wouldn't worry too much about it. In fact all of your votes apart from Michael D. are irrelevent because none of his votes will be transferred. I know the only poll that counts is on the day, but in reality there's no way Higgins will be eliminated so your vote will always stay with him and will have no chance of being trnasferred. I know, I voted Norris No. 2, but that was just for me!
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:47 pm

funkyderek wrote:I voted 1 for Norris, 2 for Higgins. I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the others.
Likewise, you've simply saved the energy and pencil lead it would have taken for you to cast your vote beyond Higgins because it will go no further anyway.

I suspect Norris will poll well. Not well enough to get close, but likely more than enough to secure his expenses.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:38 pm

Beebub wrote: Your vote for Mitchell is irrelevent so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
- my thoughts exactly :oops:
Beebub wrote: but in reality there's no way Higgins will be eliminated so your vote will always stay with him and will have no chance of being trnasferred.
hope so
Beebub wrote: I know, I voted Norris No. 2, but that was just for me!
me too - could not resist either - he needs the deposit !! :lol:
والقس هو مجنون
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Higgins / No / No
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:37 pm

1. Higgins

Didn't vote on the 2 referendum as didn't fully understand them, to agree or disagree.

Was gonna say make a poll but seems to be pointless, as it looks like most went for Yoda 1 or 2.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 pm

I voted 1. Norris, 2. Higgins and then NO, NO.