Suicide in Ireland, Are we doing Enough?

Discuss Irish and International politics
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Suicide in Ireland, Are we doing Enough?

Post by Dev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:53 pm

A quick search in the Irish Times toolbar with the keyword suicide reveals that there is at least one story everyday related to the act. Suicide rates are up since 2008; economic recessions can be measured in lives lost as well as euros lost. The statistical typical victim is male and early twenties but otherwise the profile can be any member of society.

People need help at vulnerable times in their lives. The Church often does a great job of helping people who are down on their luck - offering them someone to talk to, support network of similar people and even sometimes financial assistance. The Church often does the opposite. Church doctrine in the demonetization of homosexuality and abortion isn't unlinked to the disproportionate numbers of gays and confused women hurting themselves.

I would like to know what efforts are being made by secular bodies in alleviating this burden from society? The only secular one I can think of is one available to students in UCD in TCD.
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Suicide in Ireland, Are we doing Enough?

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:06 am

Despite the religious sounding name, The Samaritans is a secular organisation not linked to any religious organisation in any way.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:13 am

http://www.niteline.ie/ for universities.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 am

I did not know that. I guess the biblical references induced assumptions.

Yeah, niteline was the one I was thinking of.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 am

Googling "suicide helpline"....

http://www.1life.ie/AboutUs.html

http://www.3ts.ie/about.htm

http://www.recover.ie/info.php?to_one=9
which recommends:
Samaritans: 1850 60 90 90 (open 24 hours a day)
Aware Helpline: 01-6766166 (open 7 days a week from 10am-10pm)
Suicide Helpline Southern Region: 1800 742 745 (open Mon-Fri 6pm-10pm)

and has some links to literature and sites regarding mental heath

etc...

I don't know how many of these are strictly secular or have a religious agenda as none seem to make a point of it but there seems to be quite number of outlets.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:46 am

Yeah, it does seem there are plenty of secular faucets of help above. From my own reading it just seemed that most of the time there was a suicide story in the media a priest or a church group was the primary carer. I would hate to think that religion would have a monopoly on this issue. The big one for me was the Samaritans but as biped pointed out that despite the name it is secular.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:05 pm

Yeah, that's fair enough Dev. I do have my qualms about the media in that they tend to blur reality rather than providing clarity.

The National Office of Suicide Prevention quotes record high of 527 suicides in 2009. This seems high.

Similarly I've noticed more homeless people in Dublin City centre and recently have had Irish people knocking on my door looking for money. In the past it was mainly Romanians knocking on the door. Things are looking tough for people and I just hope that they are aware of these outlets.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 am

We should perhaps distinguish between those who commit suicide as a result of temporary depression or desperation and those who choose to end their lives because they may be facing a painful or terminal condition.
Personally, I hope I will have the courage to commit suicide when my time comes.
In addition to organisations that help people who feel suicidal and who can be encouraged to return to happy and fulfilling lives, we need organisations that will help people to end their lives if, after mature consideration, that is their choice.
Suicide figures will increase in this category as the fear of hell diminishes and as people realise that it is an option.
Figures used to be published for 'babies born out of wedlock' and this was frequently used to mean unwanted teenage pregnancy when in fact it also included wanted babies born to co-habiting couples.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Feardorcha wrote:We should perhaps distinguish between those who commit suicide as a result of temporary depression or desperation and those who choose to end their lives because they may be facing a painful or terminal condition.
The folks who are active in suicide support/prevention, when interviewed, are always quick to correct journalists who use the term "commit suicide". The commit part implies that someone who takes their own life has committed a crime, which isn't the case because suicide is no longer a crime. The purpose of the consciousness raising exercise is for the benefit of family and friends, who don't need the added distress of hearing terminology used that implies that the deceased is a criminal.

I guess it's a PC thing, but it also contrasts wildly with the teachings of the church, who insist that people who take their own lives get a pitch fork up the backside.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:25 pm

I take on board what you say but I can think of no other word to go with suicide, other than commit. 'Take one's own life' or 'kill oneself' are equally harsh. Of course 'commit' doesn't only apply to crime but that is probably its origin in this case.
I hear them say on Raidio na Gaeltachta 'chug sé lámh in a bháis féin' - he took a hand in his own death.