Suicide in Ireland, Are we doing Enough?

Discuss Irish and International politics
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Suicide in Ireland, Are we doing Enough?

Post by Bik » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:10 pm

High as the figures for suicide are I wonder if the real figure is even higher still i.e cases where the probable cause of death is suicide but the coroners have judged open verdicts.
I know of one case where a person killed himself with an overdose of booze and pills and left a suicide note of sorts but the coroner judged an open verdict in the cause of death. I wonder if the motivation for this judgement in some cases may be either compassion for the relatives or to ensure that they are not deprived of life assurance settlements.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
funkyderek

Re: Suicide in Ireland, Are we doing Enough?

Post by funkyderek » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 pm

I've just heard of this charity: http://www.suicideorsurvive.ie/
Suicide or Survive (SOS) is an Irish charity focussed on breaking down the stigma associated with mental health issues and ensuring that those affected have access to quality recovery services that are right for the individual.

We are working to build a society where people embrace their mental health wellness and those with difficulties are treated with dignity and respect, and experience a service that offers them hope, a safe place and a positive future. SOS is leading the way through active collaboration which we believe will drive positive social change.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image