The Irish Democratic party, Good for secularists?

Discuss Irish and International politics
yellowfish
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

The Irish Democratic party, Good for secularists?

Post by yellowfish » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi
Have just seen an ongoing discussion of this party on P.IE, Looking at the preposed policys they seem to be in line with our thinking on Education. (Obviously I know nothing of peoples views on other areas.)
I am thinking of joining them, does anyone here know any more about them as far as Education policy and a secular society are concerned?
After nearly nine years in Ireland I am still not a member of any political party as none seem to meet my criteria, I would be interested to know if anyone knows any more about them from the perspective of this site.

http://www.irishdemocraticparty.ie/idea ... atform.pdf The education part is page 28 of the document.

Their home page. http://www.irishdemocraticparty.ie/index.php

Thanks for your time.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: The Irish Democratic party, Good for secularists?

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:24 am

More of a website than a party. Somebody's vanity project. Nothing to say.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:24 pm

yellowfish wrote:I am thinking of joining them, does anyone here know any more about them as far as Education policy and a secular society are concerned?
I have never considered joining a political party. What does that involve? Do you contribute in anyway as a member or is it just so they have a number of people supporting them when it comes to applying for funding for campaigning?
yellowfish
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by yellowfish » Wed May 02, 2012 9:02 am

paolovf wrote:
yellowfish wrote:I am thinking of joining them, does anyone here know any more about them as far as Education policy and a secular society are concerned?
I have never considered joining a political party. What does that involve? Do you contribute in anyway as a member or is it just so they have a number of people supporting them when it comes to applying for funding for campaigning?
I just joined on the link, I wouldent be rushing to give any money at this point, I would want to see something more concrete than exists so far, but I think numbers matter as they go for recognition.
I like their take on education and Church state seperation, the only part that matters here. Nothing else seems designed to turn me off.
It may take off, it may not, we shall see.

Edit, If they do decide to put up a candidate localy I may considor canvassing for them, but that would obviously depend on the candidate and how the party develops.