Religious property developers

Discuss Irish and International politics
lostexpectation

Religious property developers

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:29 pm

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/st ... 21,00.html
Two orders of Irish nuns have been pitted against each other in a struggle over that new secular obsession of 21st-century Ireland: property. The Sisters of Charity and the Sisters of Mercy are arguing over control of a hospital car park and plans by one of Ireland's richest and most devout Catholic businessmen, Noel Smyth, to build luxury flats on the prime spot overlooking Dublin Bay.

'This car park site was not owned by St Vincent's Healthcare Group or the Sisters of Charity (the group's trustees) and has been sold recently by its owners, the Sisters of Mercy.

A Sisters of Mercy official said: 'The funding will support ministries in Ireland and overseas, with a focus on women at risk in Ireland and helping people suffering HIV and Aids in Africa.'
do these nuns not care about the lack of affordable housing here in or the health system?

where will these women at risk park to go to hospital or live safely and cheaply? certainly not in there luxury flats.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:26 am

Two faced hypocrites typical of the breed!
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:32 am

worked in the gardens for a convent one summer when I was 17. They took extremely good care of themselfs and they always had plenty of money. (and the only spirits floating was a shed full of alcahol out back) I honestly think nuns are worst than priests, anything that hunts in packs are always more vicious.

Rincewind
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:20 pm

FXR wrote:Two faced hypocrites typical of the breed!

That is so true, FXR. I have an aunt who spent her life in a closed, contemplative order in Scotland. I've only met her once and I think I frightened the shit out of her on that occasion due to my Punk rock gear and spikey hair as I had at the time. She would stare at me aghast, probably wondering how I could possibly share any DNA with her, although she looked worse than me with her ghostly, sun deprived complexion and her forbidding, austere look. To me she looked like the embodiment of something only the imagination of Edward Lear could create, and at it's most untethered at that!

No doubt she is the creation of her order and it's life-denying ethos. I saw a photograph of her which was taken the day before she entered the convent and the contrast was striking. Peering back at me from that photo was a sweet looking, smiling young girl who just appeared so innocent and untainted by life. Today she is an embittered old woman who has, to all intents and purposes, lost her life. To my mind, this embitterment is palstered all over her face. It's such a pathetic waste of life and potential.
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:30 pm

zhollie wrote:
FXR wrote:Two faced hypocrites typical of the breed!
No doubt she is the creation of her order and it's life-denying ethos. I saw a photograph of her which was taken the day before she entered the convent and the contrast was striking. Peering back at me from that photo was a sweet looking, smiling young girl who just appeared so innocent and untainted by life. Today she is an embittered old woman who has, to all intents and purposes, lost her life. To my mind, this embitterment is palstered all over her face. It's such a pathetic waste of life and potential.
Its worth remembering it was these twisted bitches who carried out a holocaust of baby snatching on unmarried mothers. In Ireland alone its reckoned to be up to 60,000 children who were foricibly removed from their mothers and handed over to "good catholic" families.

One such woman was featured on a documentary on RTE recently. She was raped and prostituted by her "good catholic family"
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.