right or wrong

right
27%
wrong
73%

Total votes: 33
tigger04554

Post by tigger04554 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:18 am

It was a stupid move politically. Now they have made him into a martyr.

Wait for it, there will be placards of Saddam's face as some sort of hero in the next public demonstrations of Gaza and the West Bank, unfortunate for them as they don't seem to realise this sort of thing undermines their cause.
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:45 pm

Thank God the muslims are not into this ecumenism lark. Wait til they start liking each other. Worse still, awit til the muslims, christians and jews get together - we'll really be f...d then.
Brian
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:25 am

Brian,

agreed, when christians, muslims and jews get together we will be damned... But I don't think they could agree on anything, ever. And they got a book that says each of them is right...

I think it was wrong to execute Saddam. For many reasons. Although I believe that, ultimately, there would have been a point where execution would have been maybe, acceptable (not right), it was damn too early. He should have been judged for many other crimes he surely was responsible for. Even (or specially) if those trials would have exposed the involvement of western civilization in the mess...
PCThug

Post by PCThug » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:34 pm

I voted wrong even though I do not oppose the death penalty and do think he deserved to die, the reason it was wrong is the manner of the execution ie: he was executed by Shi'a muslims many of whom chanted religious verses at him. This is what is giving him marther status in the Sunni community, before it is likely that he would be remebered in a fairly secular way as he always made an issue of the separation of church and state in Iraq.
Stublore wrote: I do think that the broadcast of the execution was crass, but i think many ppl would not have believed it if they did not see it.
Again the tone was crass and I have to say I felt a bit sickened by it, but executions should always be open for the public to view if they wish (obviously children etc should not be allowed). justice whatever you view it to be needs to always be open to scrutiny and can never occur behind closed doors.
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 am

The premeditated murder of anyone is not a civlised act. The Death Penalty is therefore not a civlised act; it has nothing to do with justice.

I didn't see the hanging of Saddam Hussein, because I chose not to. His execution was nothing but GWB and his administration's way of justifying their own sadistic, dehumanised impulses. Two wrongs don't make a right. Like any other criminal, Saddam Hussein should have been locked up for life - and so should GWB and Blair and all their criminal cohorts - including our FF/PD Irish government!!!
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Martha wrote: Saddam Hussein should have been locked up for life - and so should GWB and Blair and all their criminal cohorts - including our FF/PD Irish government!!!
Do you think they need a trial first?
Brian
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:07 pm

Why not have the trial here on the board? Any volunteers for prosecutor, defender etc?
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:35 pm

zhollie wrote:Why not have the trial here on the board? Any volunteers for prosecutor, defender etc?
I certainly couldn't defend the pricks, I don't think I'm clever enough to prosecute,..............But I would love to be on the juryImage
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:02 pm

brianmmulligan wrote:
Martha wrote: Saddam Hussein should have been locked up for life - and so should GWB and Blair and all their criminal cohorts - including our FF/PD Irish government!!!
Do you think they need a trial first?
At this stage of the game they don't need a trial, after all, none but the dim-witted or hypocritical already know they are guilty. However, I suppose a trial would be the proper thing to do.
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Martha wrote: At this stage of the game they don't need a trial, after all, none but the dim-witted or hypocritical already know they are guilty.
Well now that puts me in my place. I wonder which of the two I am.
Brian