Berlin to vote on religion lessons

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Berlin to vote on religion lessons

Post by Hemingway » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:52 am

Found this article on the BBC website. I hope it hasnt been posted elsewhere on the forum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8016990.stm

Just a quick snippet.....
"Voters in Berlin are preparing to go to the polls to decide whether children should have a choice between classes in secular ethics or religion....

Ethics classes have been compulsory in Berlin schools since 2006. But in most of the rest of Germany pupils have a choice between religion and ethics.......

Many people from the community support the proposed change in the law, hoping that if it is successful, Islam will find its way into the official school day...... It is a sign that feelings are running high in a classic case of secularism versus religion."
Might be worthwhile keeping an eye on this.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
Neil

Re: Berlin to vote on religion lessons

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:43 pm

I just want to say the the phrase "a choice between religion and ethics" speaks volumes. :lol:
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
- Terry Pratchett
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 pm

http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-zei ... /index.php

Yes: 14.2 % (346,119)
No: 15.0 % (365,609)
Spoilt: 1,560

Non-participants 70.8 %

To have passed, the referendum needed at least 50 % of voters, and at least 25% of those with voting rights to vote yes.

It was generally expected that there would be a majority of voters in favour, but that the participation rate would be nowhere near enough to get the referendum passed.

The bonus for the No side was the majority of voters who agreed with them.

This result confirms Berlin's status as Europe's capital of Atheism.

Interestingly, West Berlin voted heavily in favour and East Berlin heavily against.

copied from agressivesecuarlist on p.ie
test
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks for the update.

Now how would one go about getting a similar type vote on this topic in Ireland?
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Hemingway wrote:Thanks for the update.

Now how would one go about getting a similar type vote on this topic in Ireland?
why would you want to, i don't think there's any type of similar thing here, i gues some councillor could conjure up a plebiscites
test
FXR

Post by FXR » Sun May 03, 2009 7:23 pm

The fact that the argument can be made that this would keep Islam out of schools, and thereby gain support, is the very reason Herr Ratzinger wants Turkey kept out of the EU. One rule for all. No Mohamed, no Jaysus,
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.