To get a teaching job- you must believe in god!

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
rccaulfield

To get a teaching job- you must believe in god!

Post by rccaulfield » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:37 pm

This became very clear on Pat Kennys frontline on Monday night when Kenny interviewed the Principal of a cbs college. The man ( in reply to the question "Do teachers have to believe in God to get a job in your school?")admitted that in the interview process, teachers must follow the ethos of the school and that was a requirement for the job. He also claimed that parents had a choice of schools and didn't have to send their child there if they didn't want to.
Imo this is a disgrace- The percentage of religion based schools Vs non denominational is a joke. Is it a waste of time to get onto our politicians/ Equality officials/teaching unions about this matter?
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: To get a teaching job- you must believe in god!

Post by Beebub » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:48 pm

In some ways, I'm surprised at your surprise. That's what the whole issue is about. What else are the 92% of primary schools under the control of the catholic church going to do other than teach the children catholic religion. If you are an atheist primary teacher and you haven't found a job in the 8% of primary schools which are not run by the catholic church and you are teaching kids of communion age, regardless of your beliefs you're going to have to teach them all the communion related waffle so that they are prepared for it.

In fairness to the cbs principle, he did say it came up in the interview, but when pushed by Pat as to whether the teacher had to be a catholic, he said that the techer would have to teach the ethos of the school regardless of thier belief.

This is the heart of the matter. My children will be taught catholic religion and will be in the same class as their school mates when they are taught communion nonsense. It has been discussed elsewhere that it is not enough to simply have your child removed or not participate in the religious class in primary school, because religion infuses the entire day and is incorporated into many more sujects other than religion.

As a short term compromise there must be more schools made available to parents who are not of catholic/ christian/ any faith.

Ultimately though the church's influence should be removed entirely from education.
davef

Re: To get a teaching job- you must believe in god!

Post by davef » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:57 pm

While I agree that this is a disgraceful situation that needs to change, I will say that according to my anecdotal knowledge (my mother is a secondary school teacher, and I just broke up with a primary school teacher who is a borderline atheist/certainly agnostic who had to waste so much of her school year preparing the class for their communion) what most interview panels ask is something along the lines of: "Are you prepared to follow the ethos of the school in your teaching methods?" or words to that effect. The interviewee is then free to state either yes or no, regardless of religious belief. The applicant may be a Protestant looking for a job in a Catholic school or vice versa, and the school is not allowed to discriminate WRT religious beliefs etc etc, so as long as you say 'Yes' they don't seem to push the issue any further. This does, however, put a lot of people, my ex included, in the unenviable position of going against something they believe in, or don't as the case may be, in order to get a job. I don't know if I could do that if I were a teacher looking for work.