Richard Dawkins FAITH SCHOOLS MENACE? More4 Wed18 21:00

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Richard Dawkins FAITH SCHOOLS MENACE? More4 Wed18 21:00

Post by aZerogodist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Professor Richard Dawkins calls on us to reconsider the consequences of faith education, which, he believes, indoctrinates and divides children, and bamboozles parents.
7a27e1a2-9803-485d-9901-3eb8fba631e4_625x352[1].jpg
7a27e1a2-9803-485d-9901-3eb8fba631e4_625x352[1].jpg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
The number of faith schools in Britain is rising. Around 7,000 publicly-funded schools - one in three - now has a religious affiliation.

As the coalition government paves the way for more faith-based education by promoting 'free schools', the renowned atheist and evolutionary biologist Professor Richard Dawkins says enough is enough.

In this passionately argued film, Dawkins calls on us to reconsider the consequences of faith education, which, he argues, bamboozles parents and indoctrinates and divides children.

The film features robust exchanges with former Secretary of State for Education Charles Clarke, Head of the Church of England Education Service Reverend Janina Ainsworth, and the Chair of the Association of Muslim Schools, Dr Mohammed Mukadam.

It also features insights from child psychologists and key players in faith education as well as insights from both parents and pupils.

Dawkins also draws on his own personal history as a father, arguing that the government must stop funding new faith schools, and urges society to respect a child's right to freedom of belief.
shipolito

Re: Richard Dawkins FAITH SCHOOLS MENACE? More4 Wed18 21:00

Post by shipolito » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:14 pm

I'd love to see the documentary, but i have no television. Could anybody please record it for me? I would really appreciate it.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:17 pm

shipolito wrote:I'd love to see the documentary, but i have no television. Could anybody please record it for me? I would really appreciate it.
I'm hoping it'll appear on the Channel 4 site (I've only Irish channels)

In the meantime you can watch the God Delusion :D

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-god-delusion/4od
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
shipolito

Post by shipolito » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:07 pm

Bik wrote:
shipolito wrote:I'd love to see the documentary, but i have no television. Could anybody please record it for me? I would really appreciate it.

I actually have the God Delusion on DVD , but thanks for the link anyway. I hope you'll get to see the documentary too.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:16 pm

shipolito wrote:
Bik wrote:

I actually have the God Delusion on DVD , but thanks for the link anyway. I hope you'll get to see the documentary too.
This will be on 4OD, and they have a YouTube Channel - try searching for it tomorrow, if not the day after :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
shipolito

Post by shipolito » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for the info!
Jon
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Jon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:03 pm

My first question was going to be how will you watch the recording without a DVD player and television? But I see now that you watch DVDs on your PC.

I have a Blu-Ray satellite receiver which records in much the same way as Sky+ does and the Blu-Ray player part is also a burner. I haven't tried that function out yet but I'll have a go when the Dawkins strand on More4 is complete.

I've just tried the 4oD site and it's blocked for Irish IP addresses in the same way that the BBC iPlayer is and, presumably, the ITV player.

The easiest way to get round this is to get yourself signed up to a proxy server provider to watch UK (or US) television.

I use XROXY.com. They charge $30.00 per 91 days for a UK proxy, if you sign up ror a rolling contract. For a US proxy, on the same terms, it's $18.00 per 91 days.

If you go for it, click the "Premium Proxy" tab at the top of their front page. I wouldn't bother trying the so called "free" proxy lists, I've never had any success with them.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things; One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
Butch Hancock
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:35 pm

The Channel 4OD site always works fine for me. I watch quite a few programmes on there.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Jon wrote:I've just tried the 4oD site and it's blocked for Irish IP addresses in the same way that the BBC iPlayer is and, presumably, the ITV player.
I just tried no problem and cost $0:00.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 pm

The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics