ET Schools does not equal Secular schools

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
mkaobrih

ET Schools does not equal Secular schools

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:11 pm

A word of warning regarding Educate Together schools, my daughter’s school principle (ET) has agreed to faith formation within school hours for first and sixth class. A teacher will separate out the Catholics to indoctrinate them for communion or conformation during school hours and another teacher will take over the remaining class – I am disgusted disappointed but not very surprised - Irish people will do this kind of shit. You got to remember that all the teachers are educated with a religious ethos. Just wait and see and priests will become involved with ED schools. We need a secular education in Ireland to stop this shit.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: ET Schools does not equal Secular schools

Post by DollarLama » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Care to name the school, mkaobrih?
"Religious belief of all kinds shares the same intellectual respectability, evidential base, and rationality as belief in the existence of fairies." AC Grayling
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Ardee educate together in county Louth.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:50 am

I share your disgust and disappointment. Do you have kids in the school?

We'll need to get ET to comment on this. I'm hoping this is Ardee acting unilaterally and that ET can move to stop it, assuming they want to. Have you any idea what drove this? Local parents? Principal knowing what's best for every one else?
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:12 pm

I’ve one child there at the moment and one due to start next year. I’ve no idea why the Principal is doing it, I think she asked some parents and they agreed with her so she went ahead. There was an AGM last week which was very confrontational (I wasn’t at it but my husband was) and someone has made a complaint and it’s in the ET system.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:24 pm

A few years back there was a principal in an Interdenominational school fired by the Board of Management for trying to remove faith formation during the school day to outside school hours. All the parents were on the side of the Principal as they did not want their children separated during schools hours. However the ethos of this particular Interdenominational schools required faith formation during the school day so the Board of Management fired him. He now works for Educate Together and was interviewed on TV a couple of years ago.

This is all very interesting.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Do you know what you could do. Send a letter to the Board of Management of the School. I just got the Education Act out and you can use the following Section:-

"15 (2) (b) - A Board shall perform the functions conferred on it and on a school by this Act and in carrying out its functions the Board shall -
uphold, and be accountable to the patron for so upholding, the characteristic spirit of the school as determined by the cultural, educational, moral, religious, social, linguistic and spiritual values and traditions which inform and are characteristic of the objectives and conduct of the school, and at all times act in accordance with any Act of the Oireachtas or instrument made thereunder etc etc."

The Board of Management is accountable to the patron for upholding the characteristic spirit of the school (ethos) and the ethos of Educate Together schools is such that religious formation is outside school hours as they do not believe in segregation.

Write to the Board of Management and remind them of their obligations under Section 15 (2) (b) of the Education Act and ask them to put a stop to faith formation during the school day as this is against the Characteristic spirit of Educate Together schools.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Did you get any info or resolution on this, mkaobrih? I asked on their FB page but they only said I should contact the office an that the whole thing was based on a "bussing" issue. I haven't contacted them yet.
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Hello,

I have my nipper on the waiting list for ET and so I am concerned the ethos stays true.

I took the liberty of emailing them and below is the response...
Dear Gavin,

Thank you for your email regarding provision of religious instruction during school hours, which Luke has forwarded to me for reply.

There was an issue related to bussing in our school in Ardee, and some confusion over what was in keeping with the ethos. Schools with students coming from long distances sometimes have difficulties balancing after school activities with the demands of school busing arrangements. This has now been resolved to the best of our knowledge, and religious instruction is not taking place during school hours.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries.

Best wishes,

Deirdre
Maybe mkaobrih can confirm this?
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 pm

Well there’s a sign up saying no religion classes this week (for a couple of weeks now). That’s all I know – They are doing the evangelist shoebox thing again this christmas (even after me and my husband complained last year). I wish we had secular schools here :(