Ruairi Quinn plans forum on removing Catholic Patronage

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Re: Ruairi Quinn plans forum on removing Catholic Patronage

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Educate Together has some helpful advice for those sending submissions to the patronage forum here: http://www.educatetogether.ie/press-rel ... heard-now/
thanks for that I going to write mine monday, so perfect timing
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Concentrate on Opt outs. We have the Draft Submission together and I can give a copy to any member who is making a Submission. We will have it at the Policy Meeting on Friday.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:28 pm

I want to make a submission but the questions are so very specific I’m not sure how to write it. I’d love a look at your one to get an idea of where and what to focus on.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:28 pm

mkaobrih wrote:I want to make a submission but the questions are so very specific I’m not sure how to write it. I’d love a look at your one to get an idea of where and what to focus on.
+1

We can have a work shop submission writing!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:11 pm

+2
I'm normally not at a loss for words but this has me stumped, for the moment.
I wonder should it be a personal-experience piece or a proposal, such as you might make for changing club rules.
Maybe it's just a case of getting anything down on paper so that the sum total of non-religious viewpoints will counterbalance the zealots.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Sometimes questions are used to confine your thoughts to a box.

If you are having trouble answering the questions then simply don't answer them.

Take the Recommendations of the Irish Human Rights Commission as a starting point and work from them. They did not confine themselves but looked at the bigger picture.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:32 pm

A reminder the deadline is tomorrow – just a couple of lines expressing that a catholic, lets everything remain as is, and sure we are all grand anyways, viewpoint is not the majority. Some of the submissions to the IHRC were only an email of a couple of lines. Lets make a change so our children don’t have to.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:14 am

Mine is sent!
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:31 am

Same here! It was just a personal experience piece and heavy on the compulsory prayers and indoctrination with a plea for taking religion out of school time.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 am

Feardorcha wrote:Same here! It was just a personal experience piece and heavy on the compulsory prayers and indoctrination with a plea for taking religion out of school time.
I did the same, just our experience with the school principal and board of management. I did a bit on the patronage, opting out, and our story.

Put in a lot of references to the IHRC report. Copied and pasted from the AI submission aswell.