Junior Certificate Religeous Education Exam

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Junior Certificate Religeous Education Exam

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Thank you for that Marks. I think I have been very lucky in both primary and secondary schools and it makes me a bit complacent. I may have slipped into believing that this discrimination can be faced down by parents and pupils when, of course, it cannot. It needs national action.

There are regular posts here from parents still unsure of their position and these are committed people who have at least approached an atheist website. I know you have done and are doing valuable work on the legal front but in addition to this, I think it would be good if we, AI, had a guidelines leaflet for new parents. Each year I see new parents come to school (they look younger each year) and feel if they could just put down markers from day one, some of their later difficulty could be avoided. Maybe, again it's just my experience but many teachers and principals are not ardent Catholics and will happily facilitate non-believers. I suggest this as an additional tactic not an alternative and, as always, I am prepared to put my mouth and money (more mouth than money) at the organisation's disposal.

Regarding the Gaeltacht: My little darling (just 15) went to the Gaeltacht - with Spleodar in Litir Maolain - and had no difficulty at all. Of course, the bean a' ti and teachers assumed she was a Catholic but accepted it when told otherwise.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm very open to discussing this in detail as given the complaints we get from parents there is obviously a lot to be done to help them. As this may involve spending money it must be looked at very carefully. I can ask for it to be put on the agenda for the next meeting of the Committee. I would really appreciate feedback from paid up members on the issue as it is your money.

We have the Teach don't preach website with the opt out letters and information etc. If we decided to do up a leaflet the following are some of the questions that must be answered. Firstly can you think of any more questions.

1. What would we put in the Leaflet?
2. How much would it cost?
3. How will it be distributed?
4. Who are we trying to reach with the leaflet: Parents - Teachers or both.
5. Is there the option of doing up a leaflet on line that can be printed out and distributed with no cost.
6. Why is there a need for such a leaflet.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Should start a topic in member's discussion area.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Taking those six points in reverse order, I would suggest:

6 Because there is genuine confusion as regards rights. The Citizens Advice website doesn't cover it and posters regularly ask about what their entitlements are. There are people asking if they must have their child baptised to attend school in Ireland, must their child be a Catholic, is Communion compulsory in a Catholic school, must a child learn prayers and more.
5. This is a great idea and I'm sure we have here talented illustrators and computer nerds (the term is a compliment coming from me) who could make it very attractive.
4 Parents, especially those approaching schools for the first time.
3. Point 5 above would take care of this, as we could direct enquirers to the relative link.
2. Again as per the last point.
1 Advice on approaching a school, parental rights in law, how to deal with refusal, how to deal with deception and side-tracking.

Maybe such an on-line advice sheet could be carried on this website and on the Teach Don't Preach one as well.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:42 pm

I think this is a great idea and maybe make a media launch of it next school year? I still have all contact details of most journalists and I am sure everyone else has too. I don't mind doing the press bit.

Zero is right, put it in the members bit!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm away for a couple of days this week but will look at this in detail when I get back. I will move it into the members area as well.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:17 pm

cool, talk to you in a few days! :D
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
zenbuffy

Post by zenbuffy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:27 pm

I kinda liked this little nugget:
Name another person, associated with one of the world religions listed above, whose
faith has inspired others.
Marking Criteria:
An excellent answer will show an ability to identify evidence of religious belief in stories
from a major world religion by accurately identifying a person whose faith has inspired
others in one of the world religions listed in the question.
Possible Points:
• Christianity – Martin Luther King; Jean Vanier; Mother Teresa etc.
• Hinduism – Mahatma Gandhi etc.
• Judaism - Moses etc.
• Etc.
Christianity - modern person, etc...
Hinduism - modern person, etc.
Judaism - umm, moses? Yeah, he'll do.
zenbuffy

Post by zenbuffy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Marks wrote: <snip>
They then put her in the place in the school where they put children who are being punished. It was a public place and she was constantly asked by students and teachers what she did wrong. I don’t do religion was her constant answer. Up to this point she had never once been in any kind of trouble in the school. She sometimes had to say this out loud as it was a public place and once one of her teachers saw her in this position they were so surprised that they would shout from a distance and she would have to shout back “I don’t do religion”. I will add that she was wearing a Christian cross on her as it was part of the uniform and compulsory.
</snip>
Marks, that whole story is terrible, though I'm impressed that your daughter was able to stand up for herself and her rights. Kudos to you and her.

My younger brother is part way through the Junior Cert cycle at the moment, and doing the religion exam, and I honestly find it horrifying. Having read through the marking schemes, and seen the answers he'll be expected to give, I'm aghast.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:21 pm

zenbuffy wrote:Marks, that whole story is terrible, though I'm impressed that your daughter was able to stand up for herself and her rights. Kudos to you and her.

My younger brother is part way through the Junior Cert cycle at the moment, and doing the religion exam, and I honestly find it horrifying. Having read through the marking schemes, and seen the answers he'll be expected to give, I'm aghast.
I wouldn't worry too much though. How much do you remember of your Junior Cert exams? The religion exam is so noddy I can't imagine your brother will be putting in too much study, so hopefully none of it will sink in!
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders