Teacher Training

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Teacher Training

Post by GT » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:30 pm

If we want to increase performance in maths & science subjects this is where to start...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 05553.html
Last year Mary Immaculate College, Limerick, was criticised by the Teaching Council for spending too much time teaching religion. It noted how the teaching time allocated to religious education was four times that provided for science or history.
I have a friend who went to Mary Immaculate and if a trainee teacher wanted to learn anything about nature studies for example they had to do it in their own time on their summer holidays.
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
ptferg
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Teacher Training

Post by ptferg » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:14 am

My friends son was failing a few subjects in school, maths being his worst subject. As he began concentrating on those subjects more his grades in religion decreased. It was only then did the school contact the parents as they were 'concerned' about the boys education, even though his grades in maths had improved. They wanted to keep the boy back in the evenings to give him more concentrated personal instruction in religion. Safe to say my friend had a 'quiet' word with the teachers and they backed down. But it is ludicrous that the teachers offered extra tuition for religion but not the core subjects.
http://www.humanisticus.com/ My musings about religion, Atheism, secularism, Humanism etc.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Teacher Training

Post by Bik » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 am

ptferg wrote:My friends son was failing a few subjects in school, maths being his worst subject. As he began concentrating on those subjects more his grades in religion decreased. It was only then did the school contact the parents as they were 'concerned' about the boys education, even though his grades in maths had improved. They wanted to keep the boy back in the evenings to give him more concentrated personal instruction in religion. Safe to say my friend had a 'quiet' word with the teachers and they backed down. But it is ludicrous that the teachers offered extra tuition for religion but not the core subjects.
In fairness to the school a lack of knowledge in maths won't prevent you from going to heaven, it might even ensure that you won't be able to calculate just how much you're putting into the collection plate on Sundays :lol:
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers