Tom Hickey Irish Times

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Tom Hickey Irish Times

Post by Beebub » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:30 am

Great piece by Tom Hickey yesterday. Hits the nail on the head:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/edu ... 97949.html
Until the common school forms the backbone of our schooling system, ours will remain a bogus republic.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Tom Hickey Irish Times

Post by paolovf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:46 am

That's all well and good Beebub, but what about the school's 'ethos'? How are my children supposed to develop into fine, law-abiding, god-fearing citizens if they are not bombarded by a strong Catholic ethos from the moment they enter the school grounds until they leave??

Sorry for the sarcasm but this is one of the main rebuttals I'm hearing to the sound reasoning in Tom Hickey's excellent article. I don't think people understand the aim of education.

(edit: grammar)
Last edited by paolovf on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:45 pm

paolovf wrote:T How are my children supposed to develop into fine, law-abiding, god-fearing citizens if they are not bombarded by a strong Catholic ethos from the moment they enter the school grounds until they leave??
what have these all got in common

Bertie Ahern
Charles Haughy
Albert Reylonds
Micheal Lowery
Ray Burke
Micheal Fingelton
Liam lawlor
Brian Lehihan senior
Pádraig Flynn
Beverly Flynn
Ray Macsharry
etc
etc
Thats right -they all attended schools with a strong "Catholic ethos" -and look how well they all turned out :roll: :lol:
والقس هو مجنون
Puck

Post by Puck » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Well if it wasn't for the strong catholic ethos in the schools, the list would be longer...
Last edited by Puck on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:02 pm

And of course every catholic pries, nun and christian brother that was ever found guilty of - violence, sexual assault, rape , sadism cruelty, cover up of crimes of pedophiles , threatening rape victims with hell fire and damnation and criminal prosecution etc etc -all attended a school with a catholic ethos as well .

the country would be awash with them unless the catholic ethos holds them/you back I suppose ? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
والقس هو مجنون
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Chemicals - sure they're just a couple of bad apples that lost their way. There are plenty who passed through the Catholic hallways that turned out to be remarkable individuals.

In all seriousness, they argue this as if their kids will turn into daemons without this 'ethos' - give your kids some credit. It is the responsibility of the parent to discipline their children and guide them morally. Sure the school needs to act accordingly in their absence however whether this comes from a Catholic perspective or just common sense, it really seems like a minor issue when compared to the violation human rights of the non-Catholic child (or what have you).
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Did Hitler attend Catholic school? :P

Gotta go Godwin is chasing me............. :mrgreen:
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers