The first holy conundrum

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

The first holy conundrum

Post by aiseiri47 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Surprised this never made it's way here - a good article in relation to communion (and related sacraments), from the point of view of catholics - mostly a priest - but it's nice when people "on the inside" view things with this kind of rationale. It would be easier to dismantle this system if everyone looked at it this way. (Also, as a resident of Portlaoise, I know this priest, and he's rather nice and as progressive as this article indicates).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wee ... ce=message
HarryO'Criosna

Re: The first holy conundrum

Post by HarryO'Criosna » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:30 am

Yeah its a good article. It illustrates nicely the hypocrisy of teh standard irish catholic...their child's communion might be the first time they've set foot in a church since the baptism but they'll still call themselves catholic and fight tooth and nail to keep the local school under the church's patronage.

The idea of taking communion prep away from the school is (obviously) a good one (in Portlaoise they make them do prep work otuside of school hours)...it at least means people have to be willing to put some of their own time into the child doing the thing. Hence you'd expect there'd be more people realising "actually fuck it, we're not catholics after all...". Portlaoise has certainly progressed since I got bet down to the church by the christian brothers years back.

I know some schools are very against this idea as they see the communions/confirmations as a big day out for teh school and don 't want that taken away from them. PLus the parents complain if they have to get involved in the whole religion thing themselves.