Grúpaí Aindiachaithe le Gaeilge

Please give this a quick read

Re: Grúpaí Aindiachaithe le Gaeilge

Postby Bik » Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 am

Dia dhuit is quite formal, the likes of conas atá tú is more common in practice (even though that means how are you rather than hello), in the Gaeltacht it's also common to hear people just say hi (I've seen it spelt 'haigh' on some occassions).

On the whole I wouldn't be too concerned with the god element in the Irish greetings, no one seems too bothered with the god reference in goodbye in English, adieu in French or adios in Spanish. :wink:
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby eoinomurchu » Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Haigh! Taim chun alt a scríobh air seo. Tríd is tríd seachnaíonn daoine gan chreideamh osnádúrtha Dia dhuit, ach sleamhnaíonn corr 'le cúnamh dé' agamsa fiú. Tá 'Móra duit' ann cineál '~Greetings' 'Sé do bheatha' chomh maith. 'Conas atá?' agus 'Aon Scéal?' ríchoitianta.

I am currently working on an articel for this, Generally most people who don't have supernatural beliefs try to avoid 'dia dhuit' as its very in your face, compared to goodbye even. Other options are Móra duit' 'Sé do bheatha' or the far more common greeting of 'Conas atá?' and 'Aon Scéal?'
eoinomurchu

Postby Séasán Ó Riabhaigh » Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Bik wrote:Dia dhuit is quite formal, the likes of conas atá tú is more common in practice (even though that means how are you rather than hello), in the Gaeltacht it's also common to hear people just say hi (I've seen it spelt 'haigh' on some occassions).

On the whole I wouldn't be too concerned with the god element in the Irish greetings, no one seems too bothered with the god reference in goodbye in English, adieu in French or adios in Spanish. :wink:

That's a good point.
I know for a fact that any time I say "Dia dhuit" to somebody,I most certainly don't mean "god be with you"!!:-D
I think also the Germans use "Grüss Gott" as a greeting.

I suppose in the same way we could say that about everyday expressions we use in English e.g "aw jesus christ" and "ah for god's sake" etc. etc.,when we use those exclamations we are not actually praying!! :-D:-D
Last edited by Séasán Ó Riabhaigh on Wed May 01, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a heathen is better than being a hypocrite.
Séasán Ó Riabhaigh
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby Séasán Ó Riabhaigh » Wed May 01, 2013 8:42 pm

eoinomurchu wrote:Haigh! Taim chun alt a scríobh air seo. Tríd is tríd seachnaíonn daoine gan chreideamh osnádúrtha Dia dhuit, ach sleamhnaíonn corr 'le cúnamh dé' agamsa fiú. Tá 'Móra duit' ann cineál '~Greetings' 'Sé do bheatha' chomh maith. 'Conas atá?' agus 'Aon Scéal?' ríchoitianta.

I am currently working on an articel for this, Generally most people who don't have supernatural beliefs try to avoid 'dia dhuit' as its very in your face, compared to goodbye even. Other options are Móra duit' 'Sé do bheatha' or the far more common greeting of 'Conas atá?' and 'Aon Scéal?'

Haigh a Eoin.
Buíochas leat-mar níor chuala mé "móra duit" riamh.Nuair a bhíomar ar scoil ní raibh aon téarma eile ach amháin "Dia dhuit","Dia is muire dhuit" etc. agus mar sin deirim é i gcónaí as Gaeilge.
Hi Eoin.
Thank you-because I've never heard of the term "móra duit" before.At school,"Dia dhuit" and "dia is muire duit" were the only ways we were taught to say hello,and because of this I find myself using these when I speak Irish.But of course in my own mind,they are of no significance other than "hello".

Would " 'sé do bheatha" be used to welcome somebody?
Being a heathen is better than being a hypocrite.
Séasán Ó Riabhaigh
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Previous

Return to Rules and Guidelines