When arguments get heated, there are tactics sometimes used that are not to the point and merely detract from the actual issue. They are bad arguments, either completely beside the point or off-topic; or illogical. Here are some of the often-seen bad types of argument or fallacies - pseudoscientific thinking.
There are plenty of other bad arguments, please add your own or expand on points I started.
Superb post Ygern. I already bookmarked it.
And yes I have to add another bad argument, which I think is a great found.
Please read it and answer what you think about it.
Perhaps you want to write it in your words and add it to your first post of bad arguments. Iwould be honored. But please keep the name (which I invented
) of the bad Argument species:Argument of Schwarzer Peter
("Schwarzer Peter" is a card game in Germany and also the name of the one card in that game that makes you lose. Each player tryes to give the card "Schwarzer Peter" to the other players to make them lose the game.)
I myself experienced it with Christians: If they run out on rational Arguments they do like to use the Argument of Schwarzer Peter.
In a rather subtile way they try to give you the responsibility, brand the stubborness upon you, indicate that you are the loser and try to manifest that they are your better.
At the most they do it by saying sentences like : "It is your Problem that you do not understand
that it was just and right from God to mass-slaughter the Caanaites!"
Or they sayYou have a Problem there
, for you do not see that God has always existed!
With this Trick-Argument they do this:
1) They indicate that it is your responsibility alone, your guilt, that the diskussion leads nowhere because
2) you are either too silly or too evil to "understand", to"see clear" that the Christian is right, for
3) after all you are the one who has a Problem
4) having a Problem makes you ugly, makes you handicapped if not stating you as sick in the mind.
5) If you do have a Problem, that the Christian must teach you to overcome than that fact seemingly states the Christian as your better. He is the Teacher and you are his pupil.
6) Therefore the Christian must be right. By stating that you have a "Problem" for you "can not see" that he is right, he gave you the card "Schwarzer Peter".
7) You lose.(Or so the Christian thinks.)
OK - here is a link to a Page of an Angeloforum (you know Angelo the world-famous missionary), where he uses the Argument of Schwarzer Peter:you have a main problem, which you wont be able to solve by reason.
1. I start with the premisse : God always existed. He had never been created. This is a fact, above our comprehension, but it is not against reason.
2. The only possible alternative is : in the beginning was nothing. And from nothing came everything. This is however not a reasonable and illogical fact. From nothing, nothing derives. Starting from this point of fact, all your ponderation about chance is senseless and unreasonable as well.
In other words : the alternative claim would be 0 x 0 = 1
The first claim however is God x his power = everything.
You won't come over this.
http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthr ... 763&page=2