Grúpaí Aindiachaithe le Gaeilge

Please give this a quick read
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Grúpaí Aindiachaithe le Gaeilge

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 pm

Fáilte a Eoin.
Níl eolas agamse ar aon grúpa aindiachas Gaelach ach tá fáilte romhat ceann a chur ar bun.
An tusa an EÓM atá ar an raidio, ó am go h-am?
Le meas, F.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:40 am

Ba chóir é seo a bheith i mBéarla, a chairde :?
والقس هو مجنون
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 am

I'll drink to that. Eoin has made a point but to continue to discuss something in front of others while excluding them is just rude.

I notice Eoin is not a member I wonder if he is just a leipreachán (Irish for troll :lol: ).
marklen
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by marklen » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:00 pm

I agree it would be good to have some of our content translated into Irish. We'd need fluent Irish speaking members to volunteer to do that though.

My own experiences with the language were abysmal - I don't think fear is actually a good motivator for children - I must be an educational hippy or something. But I still think it is worth doing. I predict the issue will be volunteers to actually do the work rather than anything else.
eoinomurchu

Post by eoinomurchu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Ní raibh mé ag iarraidh daoine a choinneáil ó dhoras gan Béarla a úsáid ( ach tá google translate Gaeilge ann) ach d'fhéadfainn féin a rá go raibh sibh ag coinneáil daoine le Gaeilge ó dhoras- a rá gur chóir go mbeadh rudaí i mBéarla agus gan aon rud ann i nGaeilge mar a fheictear dom. Ach cuirfead aistriú Béarla ar fáil le go bhféadfadh sibh a rá/scaipeadh le daoine eile. Ní hé go bhfuilim ag iarraidh 'Gaeilge a mheascadh le hAindiachas' mar a dúradh thuas, sa tslí cheánna nach bhfuil tú féin ag iarraidh an Béarla a mheascadh le hAindiachas, ní theastaíonn uaim ach é a phlé i mo phríomhtheanga. Pé scéal, grma as éisteacht is bheadh an-spéis agam tabhairt faoi chuid den ábhar mar a luadh thuas a aistriú. Conas is fearr sin a dhéanamh, is cé ar chóir dul i dteagmháil leo?

I didn't want to keep people out by not using English (but google translate is in Irish too) but I could say the same thing too, I was told to speak English and there seems to be nothing here in Irish, so Irish-speakers are not particularly welcome. I add this translation so that you can share with others. I don't want to 'mix Irish with Atheism' as was said above, in the same way you presumably don't want to mix 'Atheism with English'. Anyway, thanks for listening and I would be very interested to tackle some of the material as mentioned above for translation. How best should I go about this, and who should I contact? grma
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Have you anything to contribute to the atheist agenda or the wide and varied related topics on this forum? No? Just exercising a little bit of elitism to impress yourself regardless of the damage you do?
Slán leat!
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm

eoinomurchu wrote:Ní raibh mé ag iarraidh daoine a choinneáil ó dhoras gan Béarla a úsáid ( ach tá google translate Gaeilge ann)

I didn't want to keep people out by not using English (but google translate is in Irish too)
FYI, Google translated the first sentence as "I did not want people to keep a door without using English"

It's not the most reliable, in aon teanga.
eoinomurchu

Post by eoinomurchu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Tuigim nach bhfuil google translate iontach ach tá sé intuigthe dar liom. Conas go mbeinn ag déanamh dochair trí rudaí a scríobh as Gaeilge? Teastaíonn uaim leathanaigh a aistriú go Gaeilge agus/nó grúpa aindiachaithe trí Ghaeilge a chur ar bun. Céard nach bhfuil dearfach faoi sin? Níl ort bheith páirteach.

I understand google translate is not great, but its close enough usually.
Someone seems to think that I'm doing damage by using Irish here? I want to translate some of the info pages on the website to Irish, to add to the resources and info on atheism through Irish and to possibly have a group of atheists through Irish. I think that fits the bill of the website/forum? You don't have to join or agree.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Fáilte Eoin.

I have to say though, I just don't see the point in your exercise. I say this as a lover of the language (even though my proficiency in it is pigeon at best). I have three kids going to a gaelscoil and I think it's important for us to keep the language alive.

But is there really a need for some or all of the AI pages to be translated into Irish? As someone mentioned earlier, you'd be catering for a minority within a minority. I don't know the figures off the top of my head, but are fluent Irish speakers about 10% of the population? Are those of no religion just under 10% of the population? So your target audience is pretty small. Is there any one of those people who don't speak English? I'm all for the promotion of the language, but I'm not sure that AI is the place for it. We're about promoting secularism not the Irish language and by having some pages in Irish, you're simply excluding those who don't speak the language from those pages. By having it all in English, no Irish speakers are excluded.

Similarly, a group associated with AI who only converse in Irish, be it on a page on the forum or in person, simply excludes those who don’t speak Irish. It’s hard enough to get people involved and to come to events without putting up further barriers.

I say this too because you seem to be interested in offering your time to AI. Would this not be put to more practical uses? Have you seen this page:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5204

It's about the launch of a community outreach programme. If you have some spare time this might be something in which you could involve yourself.

As for the promotion of the Irish language, there are many organisations that do this whose sole objective is to promote the language.

We have a tough enough battle on our hands without being sidetracked by issues not relevant to the goals of AI.

Mo dhá cent!
Séasán Ó Riabhaigh
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Séasán Ó Riabhaigh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Conas atá sibh go léir.Is Aindiachaí mise,is breá liom an teanga Gaeilge agus é a bheith á labhairt chomh minic agus is féidir.Ach tá ceist agam....

How are ye all.I am an Atheist,I love the Irish language and I love to speak it as often as possible.But I do have a question.....

This is unrelated to the present topic,but just out of curiosity I was wondering does anybody know of an alternative,secular way of saying "hello" in Irish?? Seeing that "Dia dhuit", "Dia is Muire dhuit",and "Go mbeannaí dia dhuit" all reference god in some way.Directly translated into English,they would mean "God be with you","God and Mary be with you" and "May god bless you".
Any ideas? Again,just out of curiosity.
Being a heathen is better than being a hypocrite.