Sam Harris is looking for volunteers for a survey

Discussions and related news items
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Sam Harris is looking for volunteers for a survey

Post by Ygern » Wed May 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Reposted from his website:
We are preparing to run another fMRI study of belief and disbelief, and we need volunteers to help us refine our experimental stimuli. This promises to be the first study of religious faith at the level of the brain. By responding to the four surveys I have posted online, you can make an enormous contribution to this work.
You can find the links to the surveys here:
http://www.samharris.org/

If you know any dedicated Christians, please send them the links too - he is looking for their responses too.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu May 08, 2008 12:44 pm

I did survey's A and B. They're quite long winded at 100 questions each.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 pm

I'm doing one a day, that way it doesn't take too much time nor do you get lost in the relative similarity of many of the questions.

Just D to do and I'm done. :)

I would recommend that if you only do one, don't do A - everyone does that and considerably fewer do D
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Thu May 08, 2008 8:16 pm

What the Hell! The American Constitution was first written in Chinese? Is that just to make sure I'm not a ChristianBot?
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu May 08, 2008 10:40 pm

Colin wrote:What the Hell! The American Constitution was first written in Chinese? Is that just to make sure I'm not a ChristianBot?
Some may be control questions to make sure you're not a bot or just filling out all of the answers randomly... or they might be to see if you are really really fucking ignorant like a lot of home schooled american fundamentalist christians.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Fri May 09, 2008 2:39 am

I guess even t'internet needs some control questions to sort the wheat from the chaff!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri May 09, 2008 10:51 am

Well, my take on these questions is they are trying to establish a base of questions which:

- everyone agrees is factually true
- only Christians say is true
- only atheists say is true
- some may agree is factually true, others may not (eg my hair is black)
- everyone agrees is false
- some agree is false based on belief
- some agree is unknown to them

It will be quite interesting to see what areas of the brain light up when people respond to certain questions. You can find the paper he co-authored called Functional Neuroimaging of Belief, Disbelief, and Uncertainty here (about the 3rd down the list).

I think (if I understand correctly) that this is the next stage of tests following on from that paper.