Aliens have no original sin???????

Discussions and related news items
Seamus89

Aliens have no original sin???????

Post by Seamus89 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:54 am

bipedalhumanoid

Re: Aliens have no original sin???????

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed May 14, 2008 8:21 am

To strengthen its scientific credentials, the Vatican is organising a conference next year to mark the 200th anniversary of the birth of the author of the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin
Interesting. I wonder if this means that this pope shares the same views about evolution as the last one. He's been fairly quiet about it and I was getting worried when he had kind words for the non-theory of Intelligent Design.

In any case, it's nice to be able to tell the ignorant anti-evo catholics that their own pope accepts the theory of evolution.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed May 14, 2008 9:13 am

I don't know, bipedalhumanoid. This is the same man who minutes after declaring that Galileo was technically correct said the Church was quite right to have acted the way it did towards him.

Personally I couldn't care less what the Vatican has to say about anything. They have already proved to me that they are hypocritical and self-serving and as moral as a bunch of politicians.

Sorry. That's not really fair to politicians.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Thu May 15, 2008 12:43 am

How can aliens be free of original sin?

What is the twisted rationale for that?
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 am

Colin wrote:How can aliens be free of original sin?

They're not human so the sins of adam and eve don't apply to them. He's suggesting that some alien races might not have 'fallen'.

But in any case, the general concept of 'original sin' is pretty damn twisted.
rtcostelloe

Post by rtcostelloe » Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 am

How about this for Alien/Christian nonsense,

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0514/aliens.html

I really love 'As an astronomer I continue to believe that God is the creator of the universe,'

Wow! Amazing!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu May 15, 2008 10:26 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
They're not human so the sins of adam and eve don't apply to them. He's suggesting that some alien races might not have 'fallen'.
This isn't a new concept.
CS Lewis (famous Christian apologist & creator of the Narnia series) wrote a space trilogy with just this concept as its central theme.

I read them years ago (being a scifi fanatic) and felt the same mixed bag of emotions that I always get when I read his work. I enjoy his style, enjoy his stories; but squirm with embarrassment at his moralising - he so frequently gets it wrong because he is, in my opinion, trying to force the plot and its characters into contemporary Christian morals. Whenever he does this he succeeds in undermining his protagonists by making them spout out-of-character and objectionable 'righteous' cant at inappropriate places.

Brief synopsis of each book, including their Christian apologetics message. Not entirely accurate or objective, but will give you an idea.

JBS Haldane writes on the trilogy, not too kindly either
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu May 15, 2008 2:30 pm

FXR

Re: Aliens have no original sin???????

Post by FXR » Thu May 15, 2008 2:56 pm

Aliens are free of the original religious mind crime! So apparently I'm an alien.

Hello Earthlings! :lol:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu May 15, 2008 3:03 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Colin wrote:How can aliens be free of original sin?

But in any case, the general concept of 'original sin' is pretty damn twisted.
Greetings Earthling!
I have been amoung you for some time now. I do not suffer from this crime which those of the Dome in Rome have informed us you are all marked with. I have observed their leader, the Smirking Snowcapped One, emerging for communications from a door on the side of his broken earth ship. I am waiting for contact from my commanders. I have observed you upright orientated are the most damaging unit on the planet and an irrational species. I have decided you will be erased.....I have decided you will be erased.....I have decided you will be erased.....
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.