Humanist.ie denies global warming?

Discussions and related news items
lostexpectation

Humanist.ie denies global warming?

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:48 pm

THE NEW PLANETARY RELIGION
Dick Spicer thinks global warming is a modern myth

dick spicer doing his contranian schtick.

http://www.humanism.ie/pubs.html

anybody read this article
test
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:36 pm

He's been on about the same thing before. The last thing anyone needs is to start claiming anything new is just another religion least of all organisations that are trying to lessen the influence of organised religionism.
Last edited by FXR on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:13 pm

i don't expect tripe diatribes about how 'this is like a religion for these people now, or this or that is the new faith' to come from a humanist... leave that to myers waters the pope and reville
test
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Even Hitchens has made the 'religious overtones' accusation at the global warming movement. He wasn't trying to deny it, or even say that he didn't support all efforts to clean up the environment. His argument was more along the line that what we don't need is more of the finger-pointing, guilt-tripping and scape-goating stuff that goes along with it.

I tend to agree. It detracts from the real conversations worth having about what to do and how to do it.

Skeptic magazine had an interesting edition titled How we know global warming is real recently.

If you head over to EarthLab you can calculate your carbon footprint and get tips on how to reduce it further.
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Ygern wrote: Skeptic magazine had an interesting edition titled How we know global warming is real recently.
Here's a direct link to the article: "How We Know Global Warming is Real:
The Science Behind Human-induced Climate Change
"

For some reason they've chosen a black on charcoal colour scheme which makes the article difficult to read; you can get the PDF of the article as well.

regards
DL
KinGTR

Post by KinGTR » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:20 pm

Sorry to say guys, im an environmental scientist and I have to say that the science behind human mediated climate change is neither strong, conclusive or even good science. If had to bet I would go along with the assumption that human are causing climate change but this is most definably not certain. A large body of work is now being released that implicate sun cycles (and by scientists who were part of the original ICPP group who said it was 90% sure )plus the fact that we are presently cooling down which wasn’t expected a couple of years ago means our previous models of climate change are wrong( we are in a 10 year global cooling period). These are currently being revised but their answers are so far contradictory. Worse of all the green movement has become an anti scientific evangelical near religious movement who refuse to accept valid scientific fact if it contradicts their view point. Be warned and keep your minds open!!
'I'm going to invent a religion that's going to make me a fortune. I'm tired of writing for a penny a word.' L. Ron Hubbard

( My favourite evil genius!)
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:39 pm

The global warming movement reminds me of the Y2K bug in that it has been hijacked by people who don't really know what they are talking about.

People who knew what they were talking about had to jump up and down a bit to get anyone to do anything about the problem but it then spread into mass hysteria. Before you knew it it was no longer IT people or engineers being interviewed about Y2K but rather company directors, people on the street and journalists. Before you knew it the people with the antidote to the hysteria were drowned out by the propaganda machine... not that those people had much motivation to do anything about it since they were benefiting financially.

It took a long time to get global warming to be taken seriously and now it's that propaganda machine that is in control. Many of the people commenting on the topic are not even climatologists.

That doesn't mean global warming isn't caused by human activity but we're not as certain as a lot of people would lead you to believe.
Yazar

Post by Yazar » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Climate change is a fact of living on this planet and always has been. Have humans added to this? Probably. Is the human impact likely to change the climate in a way that hasn't been experienced by the planet before? Probably not.

By all means make models, make plans for how to adapt to climate change, make an effort to keep human impacts to a minimum, keep the planet clean.

But don't think that this will prevent climate change.

Don't bother pointing fingers or laying blame. That won't stop climate change either.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Completely agreed.

But I think most of us here have agreed that the quasi-sacred dogma that has attached itself to this is anti-scientific and should be criticised openly.

I also don't think that anyone here has denied that there is still a lot of inconclusive data regarding both cause and effect.

In my opinion, no matter which side the evidence finally comes down on, it still doesn't give people an excuse for not recycling, or for littering or for not employing energy-saving devices
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:08 pm

Good point. Some climate skeptics seem forget that the measures being taken to fight global warming also lead us to reduce our reliance on non-renewable resources and reduce pollution.