IONA institute claims Religion = Happiness

Discussions and related news items
KinGTR

IONA institute claims Religion = Happiness

Post by KinGTR » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Has anyone seen the Iona’s institute’s new study that claims that religious belief leads to happier people? I know that the Iona institute is a vehemently right wing catholic family organisation, but do their claims have any scientific validity? Personally I think not, but worryingly this has been taken up by most of the Irish radio stations today, especially as I have severe doubts as to the impartiality (sic) of the authors
'I'm going to invent a religion that's going to make me a fortune. I'm tired of writing for a penny a word.' L. Ron Hubbard

( My favourite evil genius!)
cosmosforest

Re: IONA institute claims Religion = Happiness

Post by cosmosforest » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:40 pm

All I gotta say is, "Ignorance is Bliss!"
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:27 pm

iona comes up with positive poll, next up news: the pope is catholic
test
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:25 am

George Bernard Shaw wrote:"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
I'm sure I too would be happier if I rejected reality, believed there was a sky-daddy with magic powers who loves me and looks out for me and that after dying I go to a magic cloud place.
Neil

Post by Neil » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Exactly. Even if the results of this study are based on fact, which I doubt they are, it says absolutely nothing about the validity of religion.

It would be interesting to know the manner in which this survey was carried out.
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
- Terry Pratchett
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:44 pm

http://www.ionainstitute.com/news.php?i ... =0564#0564
Commenting on the paper, Professor Casey said: “People should be aware of the growing body of evidence highlighting the benefits of religious practise. This is especially important today with Ireland and the rest of the world facing a serious recession. In such times we have to rely more than ever on the sources of ‘social capital’, namely our families, our neighbours and our communities, and religion as well.”

She continued: “The importance of religion can easily be overlooked especially as religion is currently under very strong attack as being socially destructive. In fact, it is rarely socially destructive. On the contrary it is usually socially and personally beneficial.”
Neil

Post by Neil » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Is this the same Professor Casey who claimed that UNICEF supported her position that growing up with same sex parents was harmful to children?
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
- Terry Pratchett
pantsheadmagee

Post by pantsheadmagee » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:52 pm

Oh for fecks' sake. She needs to do some reading up on what social capital REALLY means before making pronouncements like that. And oh, say, the significant negative consequences of the kinds of social capital built by the Church, which focuses almost entirely on in-group bonding, to the exclusion of any kind of bridging between groups (which might, you know, be a little bit important in, say, an increasingly diverse society). Not to even begin to mention the social control aspects.
Neil

Post by Neil » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:55 pm

She also supports denominational education and breathes fire.
- Terry Pratchett
pantsheadmagee

Post by pantsheadmagee » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Neil wrote:Is this the same Professor Casey who claimed that UNICEF supported her position that growing up with same sex parents was harmful to children?
Quick wiki ('cause who needs real research these days?) says yes. And an almost as quick check of wiki's references says that even the people who did the study that she referenced to back up her views, said that there was no evidence for those views in her research.

Oh, to live in a world where people actually cared enough about each others' real-life well-being to listen to the results of countless studies and change their minds when faced with overwhelming evidence.
Sigh.