RTE's own faith healer

Discussions and related news items
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

RTE's own faith healer

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:22 pm

What's the connection between RTE and the faith-healer Michael O'Doherty?
Yesterday Pat Kenny spent 15 minutes oiling this phoney, in marked contrast to his heated debate with the Irish Times's John Gibbons on global warming the previous day.
O'Doherty also had a large - and again uncritical - run on The Afternoon Show and on that news review after the 6.00 news (sorry, 6.01 - I forgot the Angelus).
The following quote is a fraction of his free advertising, taken from the RTE website.
It has been scientifically established that the body is made up of energy and if the flow of this energy becomes imbalanced, stagnant or disturbed in any way it automatically affects not just the physical body, but also the mental, spiritual and emotional aspects as well resulting in disease/sickness.
In the Plexus clinics the primary aim of the Therapist is to locate these energy disturbances using a series of unique hand movements to scan the energy field. We don't work by seeing the energy field but by feeling the energy through unique hand movements.
I wonder if we are in for a wave of these snake-oil salesmen to replace the Catholic Church?
Covmeister

Re: RTE's own faith healer

Post by Covmeister » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 pm

That quote makes me shudder. Did Pat Kenny not take him up on it and ask for scientific proof? Isnt he supposed to be some kind of journalist still?
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."
Carl Sagan
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:19 pm

I really hate it when people from non-scientific backgrounds try to claim the authority associated with science with references to scientific language and yet at the same time degrade science in favor of their own theory.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:51 pm

There are two things that allow for dickhead faith healers and psychics to get free advertising on tv.

The first is that presenting woo woo artists as legitemate makes for more entertaining tv than debunking them... maybe not for the majority of people on this forum, but certainly in general.

The second is that we still live in a society that is taught to respect 'faith'. If you were to challenge RTE for not giving a criitcal interview they will just come back and say it's a faith issue.

It seems that when it comes to 'faith' issues, not only are the normal standards of journalism thrown out the window but they are also protected by law. Remember what happened to Pat Kenny when he gave a critical interview of that lunatic from Irish Psychics live on his radio show? Irish psychics man reported him to the broadcasting complaints commission and won.

http://www.skepdic.com/news/newsletter68.html

There was even a psychic interviewed on the panel a few weeks ago. Even it's basically a panel of skeptics who would have loved to tear strips off the guy, they pretty much couldn't asking anything other than stupid fluffy questions. Although I think they did as well as can be expected in the circumstances.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:31 am

Pat Kenny is the greatest advocate of the Faith of Our Fathers since Archbishop John Charles McQuaid, C.S.Sp. God rest him.

Where are the SSPX when you need them?
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
rccaulfield

Post by rccaulfield » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Email rte and complain! Kenny won't be defending the stance of reason!