Geneticall Modified Food - what do you think?

Discussions and related news items
Tora

Post by Tora » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:34 pm

Martha wrote:
So, in your (GM?) mind, all scientists are good, moral people, i.e., normal human beings - and all politicians are bad? I am neither a scientist nor a politician, but I have enough humanity in me to know that that crazy woman scientist (on the Ch4 prog) was a clone, par exellence! I wonder what lab she was "created" in :roll:
I never said that scientists were all good and moral, but there are more so than politicians, in my opinion, but then most of the people I know are.

The choice of the woman for the program was not to my taste, but was the food critic the voice of reason? Super-sharks?

He was chosen to show the irrational fear of GM and the fanciful outcomes of such experiments.

Would any of you ban GM projects outright?
Would you ingest products containing GM?
Would you ban a medicine with higher efficacy, less side effects purely due to its GM source? (mammalian cell lines producing a protein drug)
Tora

Post by Tora » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:07 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
EXCUSE ME who was that mentioned these crazy ideas "IT WILL NOT result in a goat that can climb walls, spin webs or have a venomous bite. "

you did you are the one creating ridiculous fearmongering tripe not us
I was just giving an example of things that have been said to me on the topic, the irrational fear and misunderstanding of the processes involved.

My apologies for not knowing everything about Golden Rice, but it actually makes my point for me, I made erroneous statements due to lack of information. But I will take on board what you said and change my opinion accordingly. But many people who are opposed to GM or to even the prospect of it being used rarely do the same.

I agree that industrialisation of the products is a problem, but if the money wasnt there then we would be going nowhere. There is a lot of governmental money around (FP7 approx 50 bn euro) but its not as much as industry.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:31 pm

Tora wrote:
Martha wrote:
So, in your (GM?) mind, all scientists are good, moral people, i.e., normal human beings - and all politicians are bad? I am neither a scientist nor a politician, but I have enough humanity in me to know that that crazy woman scientist (on the Ch4 prog) was a clone, par exellence! I wonder what lab she was "created" in :roll:

this is the part relevant to atheism, because particular on the boards its science this science that, science im afraid cannot make the ultimate decisions, adn they usually don't its shareholders corporate bosses and lobbiest who make the decisions, but politicians are supposed (supposed to I know the system is broke) represent society and balance out what we can do and what we should do.

scientist do what they get funding for they don't simply follow the facts.

atheism imho should be based on society and science, there is such thing as society in't there?
Tora

Post by Tora » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:41 pm

What part of society do they represent when politicians plan to ban or make it practically impossible for certain areas of research to continue which are of great merit and possibly ground breaking (the outcry in British parliament over "chimera" research showed that) based on societies lack of information about it, which is often matter of miss-information.

When society is educated about such matters by the tabloid press, and even the broadsheets are guilty of it, how can it have a real view? And how many people actually want to sit down and learn about it properly?

The Express warned that "we could be in danger of summoning up some of the monsters of antiquity - the chimera with a mixture of lion, serpent and goat", which goes back to my previous statement.
Martha

Post by Martha » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:17 pm

Tora wrote:
Would any of you ban GM projects outright?
Would you ingest products containing GM?
Would you ban a medicine with higher efficacy, less side effects purely due to its GM source? (mammalian cell lines producing a protein drug)
I don't like the idea of GM of food. at least not in the frankenstein way it is being peddled today. I certainly wouldn't eat any GM food.
Last edited by Martha on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:26 pm

I am all for GM...not only in foods...GM has done some wonderful things for the human race. Why not do to you kitchen and look at the ingredients of some foodstuffs. See modified starch/Maize? GM foods. Are you a diabetic? Where would you rather to get your insulin from...dead cows livers or from bacteria that where changed to make the HUMAN form? One form of GM rice...called Golden Rice...could save millions of lives as it has Vit. A, something rice lacks. Fact of the matter is Martha, chances are you already have eaten GM foods...
Martha

Post by Martha » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm

IrishKnight wrote:I am all for GM...not only in foods...GM has done some wonderful things for the human race. Why not do to you kitchen and look at the ingredients of some foodstuffs. See modified starch/Maize? GM foods. Are you a diabetic? Where would you rather to get your insulin from...dead cows livers or from bacteria that where changed to make the HUMAN form? One form of GM rice...called Golden Rice...could save millions of lives as it has Vit. A, something rice lacks. Fact of the matter is Martha, chances are you already have eaten GM foods...
Oh, I've no doubt that I've eaten GM foods in the past, but I now make it a point to avoid them! To the best of my ability and knowledge I eat mostly organically-grown, pesticide and chemical-free food. No, I'm not a diabetic, and MOST of the ingredients I have in my kitchen are organic. I really am quite fussy about what I eat. Its my body, after all 8)
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Did you know the carrot is GM? A real carrot is white, not orange, but in The Netherlands many many years ago they GMed them to be orange in honour of their King...from The House of Orange. But what most people think of GM is GE...Genetically Engineered. GM has been around from millions of years...
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:40 pm

Reading the parts I have highlighted, we should be eating both purple and orange varieties. I grow a white carrot (Kuttiger) which was very popular in Victorian times.
The noble carrot has long been known as an orange vegetable. Generations of people in the West have grown up believing that carrots are always orange. But as long ago as 2000 BC temple drawings from Egypt show a plant believed to be a purple carrot. It is also identified in the garden of the Egyptian King Merodach-Baladan in the eighth century BC.

In Roman times carrots were purple or white. By the 10th century purple carrots were grown in Afghanistan, Pakistan and northern Iran. Purple, white and yellow carrots were imported to southern Europe in the 14th century. Black, red and green carrots were also grown.

Orange roots, containing the pigment carotene, were not noted until the 16th century in Holland. This only came about thanks to patriotic Dutch growers who bred the vegetable to grow in the colours of the House of Orange. Experts believe Dutch breeders used a yellow mutant seed from North Africa to develop the orange variety and then stuck to it through breeding. Their colour comes from beta carotene with some alpha carotene, a pigment the body converts to Vitamin A, which is essential for healthy skin and vision in dim light. Dutch breeders recently studied the health qualities of purple carrots and believe they give us extra protection against various forms of cancer and heart disease. They contain purple pigments called anthocyanins, and act as anti-oxidants that protect the body.
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:05 pm

IrishKnight wrote:Did you know the carrot is GM? A real carrot is white, not orange, but in The Netherlands many many years ago they GMed them to be orange in honour of their King...from The House of Orange. But what most people think of GM is GE...Genetically Engineered. GM has been around from millions of years...
Ah yes, I seem to recall Madame Docktor Frankenstein on that Ch4 programme pointing this out. Yes, many plants (vegetables and flowers) have been gradually cultivated down the centuries. But what the present-day GM crowd want to do, is change the natural eco-system "overnight". They're not talking about the gradual (and therefore natural) changing of the eco-system; no, they're talking rapid change, in order to make as big a profit for as little effort as possible. There's a world of diference between working with Nature and trying to control and dominate it!
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen