Geneticall Modified Food - what do you think?

Discussions and related news items
Stublore

Post by Stublore » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:33 am

Martha wrote: i.e., interfering with the NATURAL process of life!
Lol, ever get a tooth pulled, used birth control,rode in a car,eaten a modern strawberry, etc?
Quite a lot of modern life involves interaction or use of things which are not "natural" , but that in itself does not make them bad.
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Stublore
eaten a modern strawberry, etc?
What do you mean by this? I grow organic strawberries commercially.
Albeit on a fairly small scale.
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
Stublore

Post by Stublore » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Modern strawberries are much larger than than those of the past, through "artificial" means, thats all :)
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Geneticall Modified Food - what do you think?

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 pm

Martha wrote:I'm watching that ANIMAL FARM series on CH4, about genetific-modification of animals, e.g., transplanting the fluorescent gen from jelly fish into pigs - that then glow in the dark.

These scientists may (or may not) be well-intentioned, but, it seems to me they are meddling with Mother Nature in a totally unnatural (speeded-up) way. What do you people think?
I refuse to buy anything marked as 'organic'. Partly because the term implies that other foods are inorganic but also because food science is the only reason we have such an abundance of food available to us. It should be harnessed, improved and used to feed the world.

I firmly believe that if you are able to feed yourself and your family then you have no right to condemn those who cannot to starvation through this advocation of ignorance.
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:55 pm

stublore
Modern strawberries are much larger than than those of the past, through "artificial" means, thats all
You're correct strawberries are much larger now Image some I grew last year. Like most of our fruit and vegetables, they are different to how they used to be, but not through "artificial means" if by artificial you mean GM, but by selective breeding, which is an entirely natural process.

Bees and other insects regularly cross pollinate plants, so altering the plant in some small way, the only difference is they are not selective.
The way we arrive at the crops we have today is, humans do the cross pollinating and are selective, This is not interfering with nature in the way that GM is.
Stublore

Post by Stublore » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:26 pm

Neesik wrote:stublore
Modern strawberries are much larger than than those of the past, through "artificial" means, thats all
are selective, This is not interfering with nature in the way that GM is.
If you interfere in the natural process, then what you get is an artificial result :)
Throughout our history we have interfered with the natural process, GM is just the latest and perhaps most efficient way to get the results we desire.
Martha

Post by Martha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:38 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
I firmly believe that if you are able to feed yourself and your family then you have no right to condemn those who cannot to starvation through this advocation of ignorance.
And why on earth (pun intended) can some people (e.g., the starving African millions) not feed themselves? What went wrong with their system that they can no longer feed themselves? Can you tell me that?
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:41 pm

Martha wrote:And why on earth (pun intended) can some people (e.g., the starving African millions) not feed themselves? What went wrong with their system that they can no longer feed themselves? Can you tell me that?
Corrupt governments, lack of education, lack of money for tools, lack of water, lack of good soil, lack of grass....
Martha

Post by Martha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:42 pm

Neesik wrote: Like most of our fruit and vegetables, they are different to how they used to be, but not through "artificial means" if by artificial you mean GM, but by selective breeding, which is an entirely natural process.
Quite right, but I don't think Stublore grasps the crucial difference between the two processes.

Neesik wrote:The way we arrive at the crops we have today is, humans do the cross pollinating and are selective, This is not interfering with nature in the way that GM is.
I think there is a God after all :wink:
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Martha
And why on earth (pun intended) can some people (e.g., the starving African millions) not feed themselves? What went wrong with their system that they can no longer feed themselves? Can you tell me that?
I think the biggest problem in Africa is overpopulation, by no means the only problem, but I would think the biggest.

Too many people too few resources=trouble, and one of the reasons for this overpopulation. Celibate (allegedly) old men going over there under the guise of "missionary" and telling them god wants you to breed like rabbits and to hell with the consequences.