Pat Condell and UKIP (aka Diet BNP)

Discussions and related news items
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Pat Condell and UKIP (aka Diet BNP)

Post by dugges » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:20 am

It might have come as a disappointment to all Pat Condell fans when he shamelessly announced that he was voting UKIP in the forthcoming election. You can see his video featured on the UKIP site

Anyway, here is their feedback from questions on Science Funding
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... l-election
Brian Cox asked - wrote: Do you plan to maintain Britain's science budget below the European average?

"European averages" are not a sound basis for public investment decision-making. To restore a fair balance in science funding, all funding connected with "global warming" research will cease until a Royal Commission has heard the evidence on both sides of the case, with all the rigour of a court of law, and has substantively reported. In the meantime, the large sums now squandered on addressing anthropogenic "global warming" will be redeployed partly to increase funding for science in general, which has suffered at the hands of rapacious climate extremists, and partly to diminish the dangerously unsustainable national debt.
Very disappointed
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Pat Condell and UKIP (aka Diet BNP)

Post by Bik » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 am

I might need to consider changing my signature quote now :(
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:07 am

Guess they like his anti-Muslim stuff ,they may not like his anti Christian videos though :?
والقس هو مجنون
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:20 pm

As far as his Anti-Muslim series of late the penny drops, but he doesn't have the balls to assign himself with BNP.
Bik wrote:I might need to consider changing my signature quote now :(
I like that quote, as long as you don't change it to a quote UKIP on Homoeopathy.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Gawd, their responses on science issues are appalling - ignorant of actual science and stunningly unaware of it.
It would be funny except that they actually hope to have a say in determining policy in the future. That is just plain scary.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Do you believe the swine flu pandemic posed a significant risk to Britain? What action would your government take if a similar situation emerged in the future?

"Only a handful of the billions of clades of each virus have the potential to cause widespread death in humans: the probability of a pandemic was negligible."
1. There was in fact a pandemic.
2. If only a handful of the billions had the potential to kill humans then H1N1 was identified as one of them.
3. The fact that there are billions of non-deadly viruses has no influence on the deadliness of H1N1.

H1N1 was identified as a possible risk.
The media sensationalised it.
It was in fact deadly, though not as much as previously thought.
If the gov didn't react more people would be dead, if the virus mutated (which it could still do) a hell of alot more people would die.
Just because there wasn't mass death doesn't mean deadly viruses don't exist.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:36 pm

it [alternative medicine]should be made available on the NHS provided that it either achieves the same result for less cost than existing "conventional" treatments or achieves a better result for the same cost.
I only refer to "alternative" medicine if it doesn't work. Otherwise it's just medicine. What if said medicine is better and more expensive?

To be fair David Nutt has a better drug policy than whats currently implemented.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Dev, David Nutt only asked the question, the answer is not his.
He's the guy who got fired from the ACMD last year http://www.cannabisni.com/uk-cannabis-n ... om-his-job

He probably would come up with a better policy, but it is unlikely to match what UKIP is promoting.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Ygern wrote:He's the guy who got fired from the ACMD last year
And who could forget the Guardian's Headline DAVID NUTT SACKED :roll:
Douglas Adams
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Ygern wrote:Dev, David Nutt only asked the question, the answer is not his.
He's the guy who got fired from the ACMD last year http://www.cannabisni.com/uk-cannabis-n ... om-his-job

He probably would come up with a better policy, but it is unlikely to match what UKIP is promoting.
I'm aware Nutt got fired. I agreed with him at the time. British government made a silly decision. I did misread though, thanks for pointing that out, I was wondering why the UKIP had such famous spokesmen that all happend to be contributors to the Guardian :) .

You can imagine my surprise in thinking what I saw was Brian Cox's reply. Still, the UKIP drug policy sounds better than the current one. This is more of a reflection of the backwardness of the current standing of recreational drugs.

The UK government even blatantly admitted that alcohol and cigarrettes are legalized based on "tradition" and not principals guided by evidence.