Pat Condell and UKIP (aka Diet BNP)

Discussions and related news items
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Pat Condell and UKIP (aka Diet BNP)

Post by ctr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:52 pm

I must say that video disappointed me also.

I still find them entertaining but UKIP for heavens sake :?

I think its his anti EU stance that's pushing this but if he stopped and thought about it I feel in voting UKIP the negatives for any rationalist far outweigh the benefits.

I am a firm believer that only for the EU we still would be in the dark ages in Ireland.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:01 pm

He's probably doing what Hitchens did with the Bush regime - become a single issue voter & go with whoever seemed to be most in line with his No 1 cause.

This is kind of why I doubt I could ever be a single issue voter - you run the risk of having to align yourself with too much nonsense & bigotry.
I mean look at UKIP & its policies in the Guardian article. Their drug policy sounds all enlightened with them saying they are going to look only at the science. Cool.
But then take a look at their insane anti global warming stuff (energy section). Look at what they say about salt in the diet (public health section). Where are they getting their "science"? Not from peer-reviewed scientists, that's for bloody sure.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:09 pm

We shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that someone with whom we agree on one issue will be an inspiraton on every issue. That's the trick the Christian fundies try with their 'Hitler was an atheist...'

Also: 'Put not your trust in Princes.'
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Ygern wrote:He's probably doing what Hitchens did with the Bush regime - become a single issue voter & go with whoever seemed to be most in line with his No 1 cause.

This is kind of why I doubt I could ever be a single issue voter - you run the risk of having to align yourself with too much nonsense & bigotry.
I mean look at UKIP & its policies in the Guardian article. Their drug policy sounds all enlightened with them saying they are going to look only at the science. Cool.
But then take a look at their insane anti global warming stuff (energy section). Look at what they say about salt in the diet (public health section). Where are they getting their "science"? Not from peer-reviewed scientists, that's for bloody sure.
I am a single issue voter in one sense - evidence based policy making. I agree, the UKIP doesn't base their policies on evidence as demonstrated above.

I'm a member of a British computer forum and there are some intelligent guys there but anti-EU sentiments are rife. They're delighted with the Greece financial crises because they believe that being part of the Euro caused it and are currently championing "I don't you so".

I can see the UKIP making ground. The BNP is also swelling in numbers.
Feardorcha wrote:We shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that someone with whom we agree on one issue will be an inspiraton on every issue. That's the trick the Christian fundies try with their 'Hitler was an atheist...'
I absolutely agree with this. I disagree with Hitchens on many issues. He's a pro-lifer for instance and supported the war in Iraq but he's a good apologist for atheism. There is general rule in politics to say as little as possible, the more you reveal the more people tend to disagree.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue May 04, 2010 11:38 am

A great rebuttal to pat condell on his pro UKIP stance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul6oLw-a ... re=related
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

UKIP leader in plane crash

Post by chemicals » Thu May 06, 2010 1:51 pm