International Space Station Sightings

Discussions and related news items
HylandPaddy

International Space Station Sightings

Post by HylandPaddy » Sat May 08, 2010 11:02 pm

I was walking home from a little late night shopping last night when I saw a brightish light in the sky. I knew it wasn’t a plane because it didn’t have a white tail-light or a red light* on its wing. I shrugged and thought it was just one of those satellites you see. Just awhile ago I was looking at an astronomy site that said the ISS was to be crossing over Ireland. Intrigued I read further until, disappointed, I learned the article was dated 2009. I was still curious, ‘cause I’ve always wanted to view the ISS, I googled further until lo and behold I found out that the ISS could be seen over Ireland starting from the previous night!

I checked the time it was meant to be visible; 21:50. I scurried to find my receipt and looked at the time printed on it, twenty minutes to ten! And I was ten minutes into my twenty minute journey home. To confirm it even more it was travelling south-east, just as the ISS is. I had finally seen the space station and all accidently.
It was visible tonight as well at quarter past ten, about thirty minutes after I discovered the Nasa site. I was out this time with a camera at hand but I doubt many of my friends will be impressed by a picture of a single point of light in the sky, but I love it.

If you missed it you can still see it over the five days or so. 7-12 May.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/si ... ry=Ireland

*aeroplanes have a red light on their left wing. It can be remembered by the mnemonic “There is no RED PORT LEFT.” i.e. a red light on the port (left) side. I always got confused about “port” and “starboard”.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: International Space Station Sightings

Post by ctr » Sun May 09, 2010 9:59 am

Another great site for tracking space objects (and Planets) is http://www.heavens-above.com

Create an account and then set (from a really large database) your location....and have fun looking up! :wink:
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
bipedalhumanoid

Re: International Space Station Sightings

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon May 10, 2010 10:46 am

Satelites normally have short burns. I've never seen one cross the entire length sky. The IIS looks like a plane except it is moving much faster. I thnk it takes around 2 mins to cross from one side of the horizon to the other.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.