Incest

Discussions and related news items
mkaobrih

Incest

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:19 pm

As a thought experiment - what is wrong with consensual incest – if contraception is used? Where does the ickyeness factor come from?
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
munsterdevil

Re: Wonderfull Islam

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 pm

mkaobrih wrote:As a thought experiment - what is wrong with consensual incest – if contraception is used? Where does the ickyeness factor come from?
Hmmm what a poser mkaobrih, but the thing is, no contraception works 100%.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:14 am

mkaobrih wrote:As a thought experiment - what is wrong with consensual incest – if contraception is used? Where does the ickyeness factor come from?
I think the ickyness factor of incest probably came from our evolutionary history. Those organisms that had a tendency to strongly avoid incest were more likely to survive, or the gene that had a tendency to spread itself around and avoid inbreeding got passed on. Hence the general yucky feeling when thinking about it.

If it's consensual and no possibility of pregnancy, well then I don't know...probably okay, although I can't get over the mental block.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:38 am

munsterdevil wrote:
What about consensual gay sex then ??
والقس هو مجنون
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:36 pm

chemicals wrote:
munsterdevil wrote:
What about consensual gay sex then ??
I'm not sure Chemicals if you meant that for MK or me, but either way I have no problem with consensual gay sex, why do you ask anyway?
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:08 pm

Interesting point.

I only see it being an affront to a healthy familial relationship. If pregnancy isn't possible either through infertility or as chemicals said if it was gay sex I don't think a law against it would make sense.

We don't make laws on what disgusts us or at least we shouldn't. It's better that we leave society to stigmatize such behavior as a preventative measure.

I'd also like to bring up the point that if we accept that incest is associated with very high risk of genetic disorders in the children and this should be banned. Then does this mean people who will pass on genetic disorders to their children i.e. sickle cell anemia and hemophilia shouldn't be allowed have children either?

One other point I need to highlight is that marriage doesn't mean sex. While it is a big part of the vast majority of marriages for whatever reason there may be some married couples who don't have sex. By banning marriage between two cousins should we be really saying you can be married and have sex, you just can't have children?

I'm starting to think there are some complexities involved and this a grey area.

I suppose we already accept that family is important biologically and socially and this has many legal recognitions. Including allowing next of kin to inherit assets and other special legal privileges. Perhaps such restrictions are a natural balance to the privileges associated with family.

Finding the balance between individual rights and respecting family as an institution (every individual has family in some way) is tricky.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Dev wrote:I'd also like to bring up the point that if we accept that incest is associated with very high risk of genetic disorders in the children and this should be banned. Then does this mean people who will pass on genetic disorders to their children i.e. sickle cell anemia and hemophilia shouldn't be allowed have children either?
A good point – where does personal freedom end – should pregnant women be arrested for drinking/smoking – should congenital deaf people be prevented from reproducing - I’d say no. I’m for as much personal freedom as you can get.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:08 am

munsterdevil wrote: I'm not sure Chemicals if you meant that for MK or me, but either way I have no problem with consensual gay sex, why do you ask anyway?
Hi MD - No I was just adding that to the equation on the grounds that if the reason for prohibition was pregnancy risk then in theory a gay incestuous relationship would be allowable .
I know two first cousins who are gay and they have sex on a regular basis -they are quite funny actually and love scandalising their parents about it :D
والقس هو مجنون
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:38 pm

chemicals wrote:Hi MD - No I was just adding that to the equation on the grounds that if the reason for prohibition was pregnancy risk then in theory a gay incestuous relationship would be allowable .
I know two first cousins who are gay and they have sex on a regular basis -they are quite funny actually and love scandalising their parents about it :D
So what you mean is, if siblings of the same sex (not first cousins, as that is legal) have consensual intercourse, in theory it should be allowable as there is no chance of pregnancy? Interesting point....

I know this thread has gone off topic some bit, but it is very thought provoking...
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 pm

So what you mean is, if siblings of the same sex (not first cousins, as that is legal) have consensual intercourse, in theory it should be allowable as there is no chance of pregnancy? Interesting point....
That's it exactly I would imagine most of us would initially cringe at the idea but that's only due to cultural conditioning

I know this thread has gone off topic some bit, but it is very thought provoking...
Yes indeed - the mods should open this as a separate thread
والقس هو مجنون