UCC Prof and fellatio in bats

Discussions and related news items
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: UCC Prof and fellatio in bats

Post by Hemingway » Mon May 17, 2010 1:21 pm

It appears this case is picking up momentum on the publicity front. Dr Evans was on the Pat Kenny Show on RTE this morning explaining his side of the story. I'm sure it will be on their iplayer facility soon enough. It was an interesting listen. I would like to hear her side of the argument also, however as her identity is protected its unlikely that she will participate in the Pat Kenny show offering a rebuttal.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon May 17, 2010 2:04 pm

If you go to Chemical's link you can see all the documents including the original complaint.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue May 18, 2010 8:52 am

I see its all in the Indo today, who decided to name everyone involved, even the husband of the accuser.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 am

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 83499.html

It's beginning to look more and more like a case of workplace bullying. The accuser is married to the vice president of research. With the release of additional information the claims don't seem any less spurious.

I'm speculating, and I probably shouldn't be. All I'm saying is that it is easy to envisage a scenario where, a vindictive woman, might abuse power given to her by an anti-harrassment policy, to bully a man. It's easy to envisage a scenario where a professor might discuss a research topic with a colleague, and where that research topic might include discussion of the mating habits of animals.

It's not so easy to envisage a scenario where a man would actively attempt to sexually harass his boss's wife through talk of chiropteran felatio!
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am

According to himself on pharyngula
Post #210
The complainant was on a temporary contract. She was actually already in the process of applying for jobs at other universities when I showed her the paper. She has since obtained a job at a university in another country and quit her job at UCC.

Her husband is also leaving UCC, to accompany her to her new destination abroad.

Dylan Evans
Not sure what to make of that ?
والقس هو مجنون
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Tue May 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Wow. Thats an interesting turn of events. If this turns out to be an authentic and accurate message (At this point I am not sure if it is) it appears the support that Dr Evans received from other quaters may have become too much for Prof Murphy and his good wife to live with any longer.

Surely this should all have been sorted out by conversation and should never have gotten to this point? Two people have now given up there jobs and are going to move from their home over something that could have been nipped in the bud by adults talking to each other. Crazy.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue May 18, 2010 5:19 pm

You know guys, much as I appreciate that this is a curious case, some of the speculating going on here is not even remotely based in fact. Read statements carefully before you start drawing conclusions.

e.g.
Two people have now given up there jobs and are going to move from their home over something...
Nowhere has anything of the sort been suggested. The only thing that you know is that one person was applying for jobs elsewhere & has now found one - that's quite normal for someone who was on a contract. If anything it seems to have zero to do with this case let alone what is happening now in the media.

That said, it is quite true that this current fiasco could have and probably should have been sorted out by one serious conversation between two grownups a long time ago. I'm pretty sure that none of the parties involved thought it would become so public.

Unfortunately we seem to be going through a time that promotes offense-taking, not just in Ireland either. Given that the complainant is a grown adult who is highly educated and has a position of authority, not some young impressionable student; it is really strange that she did not try to confront the issue herself or ask a sympathetic colleague to have a quiet word. It's even more bizarre that the university chose to punish someone who had been found not guilty by the subsequent investigation.

I kind of wanted to keep out of this discussion because I know Dylan Evans as do a couple of others on this forum. I certainly can't speak about the alleged events seeing as I wasn't there, but I do know that he is an outgoing, friendly and kind person who would be gutted and mortified if something he had said or done had upset someone else. This case is is a horrible series of events that have snowballed way out of proportion to what it should have been.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed May 19, 2010 10:17 am

Its just getting worse now -another discipline hearing over the leaks :roll:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 84755.html
والقس هو مجنون
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 am

Frankly this trial by media is not serving any useful function, this needs to be sorted privately by mediation or lawyers.
Cork Skeptics
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed May 19, 2010 11:01 am

Ygern wrote:Frankly this trial by media is not serving any useful function, this needs to be sorted privately by mediation or lawyers.
Yes would be best for all by this stage.
والقس هو مجنون