Higgs-Boson could be 5 distinct particles!

Discussions and related news items
bipedalhumanoid

Higgs-Boson could be 5 distinct particles!

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:22 am

Natioanl Geographic wrote: The "God particle" may actually be five distinct particles, evidence from a new atom-smashing experiment suggests.

Called the Higgs boson, the theoretical particle has been long sought by physicists who think it's responsible for all mass in the universe—hence the name God particle.

It's also one of the targets of experiments by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), which began smashing subatomic particles together at half its maximum power in March.

According to the widely accepted standard model of physics, all particles acquire their mass by interacting with the Higgs boson.

But some theories say that the Higgs boson is not one, but multiple, particles with similar masses but different electrical charges.

Now, researchers at Fermilab in Batavia, Illinois, say they have found more evidence for this multiple-particle theory.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -particle/

Post Edit: Fermilab have progressed QM in a lot of ways, but it's always worthwhile maintaining a healthy scepticism, especially since the whole pentaquark fiasco
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Higgs-Boson could be 5 distinct particles!

Post by chemicals » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:40 pm

I Would have though the God particle would have consisted of three particles being truly distinct one from another. "Trinitons" perhaps? :D
والقس هو مجنون
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm just in the door from Copenhagen where the last talk was from Victor Stenger who gave us a fascinating talk on debunking the "fine-tuning of the universe" argument as well as his thoughts on the universe being "made" for life and the future of manned space exploration. He mentioned as an aside that the initial data from the LHC was very interesting although he didn't go into any details on it.

(more later - I'm wrecked!)
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:45 am

Ygern wrote:I'm just in the door from Copenhagen where the last talk was from Victor Stenger who gave us a fascinating talk on debunking the "fine-tuning of the universe" argument as well as his thoughts on the universe being "made" for life and the future of manned space exploration. He mentioned as an aside that the initial data from the LHC was very interesting although he didn't go into any details on it.

(more later - I'm wrecked!)
I look forward to hearing more :D

The LHC is still only running at half mast and is already breaking records. I think it's fair enough to have high expectations.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.