Atheists and indefinite life extension

Discussions and related news items
Eric Portal

Atheists and indefinite life extension

Post by Eric Portal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Is the movement for indefinite life extension a natural extension of atheism? It seems to me that you have say, churches out trudging through swamps in other countries trying to find every last soul to tell that they have to chant about baby jesus so he'll whisk you away to a magical land in the sky when you die. Alright, interesting project, sounds fun, seems like a natural extension of religion, but then what do atheists do? We talk about how religion is ignorant, sure that can be fund and beneficial, but what are our projects? I think that indefinite life extension is one of the main ones.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Atheists and indefinite life extension

Post by Ygern » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Are you selling something?

Atheist Ireland has plenty of projects. They're about promoting secularism and combating superstition.

Extending life is the realm of science not atheism.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Eric Portal

Post by Eric Portal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Of course, I could be wrong, maybe its not an extension. If ideas are selling, if perchance convincing people of ideas is selling then I guess so, otherwise no. What kinds of projects does atheism work on?

In what ways do you, or dont you, associate atheism with free-thinking? Would you say they are the same, or different?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm guessing that English is not your first language.
If you want to discuss a particular area of science research, then you ought to head over to our science forum.

Prolonging life has nothing to do with atheism. If you want to find out about Atheist Ireland, click on the Red A on the top left hand side of the page.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Eric Portal

Post by Eric Portal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:14 pm

When your free of god(s) and left to your atheist devices, then a persons mind is free to pioneer and think freely, innovate, do what it naturally does. What it naturally does, it seems, is improve its continuously improve its condition. It may not be a "natural extension" but it seems so.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 pm

I'm moving this to the Science forum. Extending the length and condition of human life may be an interesting subject worth discussing, but it is not going to become an "Atheist Project" any time soon.
Cork Skeptics
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:51 pm

I've heard the argument from certain 'futurologists' who claim that the current generation's grandchildren will be the last generation to die naturally.

I wouldn't write it off although it wouldn't have any effect on my world view... given that I'm not my great grandchildren.

Are you assuming that to be an atheist you'd have to find a way to replicate the effects of the afterlife? If so, you must find us actual atheists incredibly couragous :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 pm

I wonder if this guy here - http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=41151 - called "broken portal" is the same as the OP Eric Portal. If so, looks like him and his band of nutty wishful thinkers are on a bit of a recruitment drive through something called their "internetworking team". I guess we're on their target list.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am

Allowing for advances in technology, imagine being able to create a brain dead clone of yourself. Maintain it on life support, and then twenty years later have a brain transplant performed. I'd now be a sixty five year old with the physique of a twenty year old. The mind boggles :lol:
Not sure I'd want to live forever but it might be nice to get a chance to do it again with the knowledge of previous mistakes.