hypnosis

Discussions and related news items
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: hypnosis

Post by Ygern » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 pm

I'm not arguing with any of that, I've seen Derren Brown hypnotising people before and I know he's extremely effective, far more so than a lot of the entertainer hypnotists out there who get people squawking like chickens on stage and the like.

What I'm interested is in what's happening to the hypnotised person, and that's a question that science hasn't answered yet. There seems to be a genuine question mark over what is really happening in the brain.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Ygern wrote:What I'm interested is in what's happening to the hypnotised person, and that's a question that science hasn't answered yet. There seems to be a genuine question mark over what is really happening in the brain.
True. More especially when you consider that the hypnotizers aren't really sure what they're doing either. I suspect, having read Derren Brown's book, that the effect is primarily psychological, requiring varying degrees of suggestibility, compliance and self-deception on the part of the subject. A bit like the placebo effect. If you believe you're getting a drug/hypnotised, you're body is more likely to respond positively.

But it would be really interesting to see the effect of hypnosis on someone while their brain is under an FMRI scanner.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:12 am

On Derren Brown, he had a book called "Pure Effect" which was withdrawn as it was "too revealing"
However it has more on the tricks involved in mind-reading that hypnotism. It's costs about EUR 120 as it's VERY rare now.
Tricks of the Mind does give a crash course in hypnotism and gives a basic script on how to cure phobias
To Paraphrase Phobia cure
Relax - You're in the cinema watching a movie of an incident with your fear - imagine the scary incident in grainy black and white, in your mind bring it into colour, speed it up and add Benny Hill music.
Basically make it absurd and thus more funny than scary.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:52 am

The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:42 am

dugges wrote: To Paraphrase Phobia cure
Relax - You're in the cinema watching a movie of an incident with your fear - imagine the scary incident in grainy black and white, in your mind bring it into colour, speed it up and add Benny Hill music.
Basically make it absurd and thus more funny than scary.
Sounds eerily like the 'Riddikulus' cure for dementors in Harry Potter :lol:

I have Tricks of the Mind if you want to borrow it next time I see you Grania. I agree with everyone above, it's an excellent book. Plus he's a hilarious writer.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:03 am

mkaobrih wrote:Here for tricks of the mind
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/f2z5wcpc0
and here for pure effect
http://uploading.com/files/29a67257/Der ... ffect_.rar
You're not promoting pirating now are you mkabrith?? :lol:
Genevieve wrote:Sounds eerily like the 'Riddikulus' cure for dementors in Harry Potter :lol:
Yup - Exactly the same thing :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:58 am

dugges wrote: You're not promoting pirating now are you mkabrith?? :lol:
Not at all but to be honest I don’t see why it’s any different than recording a TV show or borrowing a CD or book or reading a magazine in a waiting room. Pirate is too strong a word.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks for the offer Gen, I appreciate it :)
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 pm

mkaobrih wrote:
dugges wrote: You're not promoting pirating now are you mkabrith?? :lol:
Not at all but to be honest I don’t see why it’s any different than recording a TV show or borrowing a CD or book or reading a magazine in a waiting room. Pirate is too strong a word.
Arrrrrrrgh!! ;)
Douglas Adams
MyloD
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MyloD » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:58 am

This might qualify as a dangerous idea, but my partner who is an addiction counsellor for the HSE has a pet theory that people who respond to 'hypnosis' (e.g. to lose weight, stop smoking, etc) are also prone to delusional beliefs such as religion, superstition, 'angels' and so on. OK, it's an anecdotally formed impression, but its persuasive...