Perseids

Discussions and related news items
HylandPaddy

Perseids

Post by HylandPaddy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:42 am

The Perseids is a meteor shower that occurs from the 23 July – 24 August every year, peaking on the 12 August this year. Although the height of the shower is on the 12 -13th it can still be in subsequent nights as the frequency of meteors tapers off.

They can be seen in the north-east of the sky appearing to radiate from the constellation of Perseus. You don't need any telescopes/binoculars just a dark place away from light pollution.

If you know how to recognise the constellation of Cassiopeia (the big "W"), Perseus will be right under it. Alternatively, if you can locate Jupiter in the east (easily one of the brightest objects in the sky this time of year) you can just look slightly more north from there i.e. look a fair bit left of Jupiter.

I would urge ever one to attempt to watch this wonderful spectacle of nature over the next week or so.

EDIT: Grammar
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Perseids

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:46 pm

I saw the Leonids meteor shower from Australia a while back. It was brilliant. I was expecting to see meteoroids streaking across the sky at high altitude (like most shooting stars you're likely to see on any given night). Instead, what I saw were relatively low altitude blue/green fireballs that were big, bright and low enough for the smoke trails to be clearly visible.

Trying to view a meteor shower with a telescope or binoculars would be a pointless excercise. They move way to fast.

I've never seent he perseids. Might have to have a look in 8)
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 pm

great stuff look forward to this. Clear skys.
Reilly616

Post by Reilly616 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:47 am

Overcast. :(
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:08 pm

والقس هو مجنون
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:34 pm

we were/are in wicklow at the moment and it was cloudy of course... seen nothing
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Tulip1 wrote:we were/are in wicklow at the moment and it was cloudy of course... seen nothing
I got clear skies last night, sat out in the garden with a mug tea (that's the unfortunate thing about stargazing; clear skies =
freezing.) I saw a bit of the shower but unfortunately I live in a slightly built-up area so the light pollution ruined it a little :( .

But on the bright side (subsequent pun intended...) Jupiter was very visible and I got a good look at it with my binoculars. Next time I'm definitely going out into the countryside, nice and dark.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 am

it was clear here aswell didn't see much though need to go to a darker area aswell.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ter » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 pm

I've gone out every night hoping to see something other than clouds but no joy. Had the camera batteries charged and was hoping to get some long exposure shots :( .