Hate give this guy publicity but...

Discussions and related news items
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Hate give this guy publicity but...

Post by Ygern » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:16 pm

@ Rogan, those sound like good questions. To an extent I think May used Lenihan. No excuses for Lenihan being so naive as to let himself be played by an attention hungry constituent. But May would have published his utterly obscure little screed without a drip of attention from anyone, and thanks to manipulating a politician into a compromising situation he got international coverage instead.

I see Kevin Myers has outed himself as a Creationist too.
It's the most trite collection of clichés I think I have ever seen on one page; except if you own the Jumbo Bumper Book of Lame Clichés .
Is he really this stupid or is he just pretending so that more people will respond to his column?
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Yep, pretty weak strawmanny crap. Is Waters ghostwriting for Myers this week?
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm going to this event now. I'll try to tweet if anything interesting happens http://twitter.com/funkyderek
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:00 pm

I'll put the word out on Twitter :)
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Don't forget your tin foil hat, Derek.
“As I never tire of saying, heat is not the antithesis of light but rather the source of it.” Christopher Hitchens
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 pm

@Rogan,

I'd second what Beebub says.
Beebub wrote:
Rogan wrote: Do you accept evolution as fact?
Do you beleive the ideas of the likes of May should be given equal time in classrooms?
I'm more interested in where he stands on evolution than why he got himself into the May book launch mess. e.g.
  • - Does Ireland have a science minister who accepts the theory of evolution as the best explanation for speciation, or does it not?
    - Does he rate evolution and creationism as competing theories?
    - Or does he accept evolution as the only scientific theory, and creationism as a non-scientific faith position?
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Has anyone been to the Girls and Gorillas book launch? Any reports?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 pm

funkyderek is there http://twitter.com/funkyderek
Cork Skeptics
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:06 pm

I caught the end of it. I walked in to a guy with loadsa ear-rings being barracked for being rude by two busty young ladies and a baldie guy in most of a gorrilla suit. I wished I could've had the moment back but with a cup of mushroom tea.

A hare krishna, on my asking him to give me a single hint of evidence for creationism spent three minutes telling me how complex fleas are and finished with a flourish by asking me "now, how could a flea live long enough to turn into something else". He dismissed the entirety of evolution based on the fact that I could only suggest books he could read, essentially using the Argument from Couldn't Be Arsed.

Anyway, seems to have been mostly anti-creationists and people there for a bit of a laugh mixed with May's family (I think the "Girls" were family or neighbours), a couple of friends who don't even agree with him and a small few true believers. Robin from boards.ie/atheism went looking for some but they were few and far between. Derek can give you the details of the talk and the subsequent ending of the talk due to a very angry evolutionist getting fecked out. I did get a nice "YOU ARE A PIG" poster that I'm gonna hang in my fridge as a motivational thingy.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Ciaran wrote:I did get a nice "YOU ARE A PIG" poster that I'm gonna hang in my fridge as a motivational thingy.
It will make you think twice about the black pudding :lol:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams