Hate give this guy publicity but...

Discussions and related news items
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Hate give this guy publicity but...

Post by Ygern » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Great post! I've put it up on our blog.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Excellent post Derek. I've linked the blog to several other discussions on the topic.

Was that you front left as you face the podium, talking to him about fruit flies?
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:40 pm

I'm not sure of the relevence of this, but I'm enjoying this story so much, I can't let it go. I mentioned that I was told by an acquiantance of May at the launch that the book had been financed by Denis O'Brien. Well a chap on Politics.ie found this in the archives of the Sunday Business Post:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/200 ... y43612.asp
Leave Denis O’Brien alone

The Moriarty Tribunal is now 12 years forensically foraging for fodder to legitimise its questionable existence.

One man from a relatively average background won a radio licence in 1989 and founded 98FM.He and his group made the best impression - and obviously had the finest bid - and secured the mobile phone licence.

I have observed his amazing career, admiring how a David took on the Goliaths in the ruthless corporate world of business and won. The licence was issued to the joy of one group and the disappointment and fury of others. However, almost immediately, gossiping rumours and innuendoes began.

Now,12 years later, one man’s reputation is tarnished by the daily drip of desultory drivel fed into this ongoing waste of resources. Denis O’Brien has not got, and is not getting, what our government is constitutionally obligated to assure him of: justice.

John J May Tallaght, Dublin 24
Ha!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:41 am

On a crusade beeb? :lol:

I agree tho, once Professor Lenihan pulled out it was just pure entertainment, it's just so rare we get this calibre of creation woo in the freestate. Shame the AI heads at the launch didn't sniff each other out. I guess the scent of gorilla was too strong.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:19 am

On a crusade beeb?
Well given that I broke the story (assuming Michael got his information to put on the Facebook page and the blog from this post on Monday) and e-mailed Patsy McGarry with the story at the same time, I feel attached to the story and am reluctant to let it go! :D

Edit: I wouldn't be Denis O'Brien's biggest fan either so that helps too!
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:58 am

Fair play to you Bub and thanks for bringing this story to light.
It's interesting that RTE never touched it and this makes me wonder why.
Also, the O'Brien connection is equally interesting and worrying. I wonder does he have plans for dabbling in politics with a Tea Party or will he just continue to operate through his hireling Lowry.
The more you probe, the more you find out how our theocratic oligarchy works.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:20 pm

I've also discovered another tenuous link. Lenihan worked as a journalist for 98fm before becomming a TD, which is owned by Denis O'Brien.

Hee hee. I did say it was tenuous!
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Beebub wrote:Excellent post Derek. I've linked the blog to several other discussions on the topic.

Was that you front left as you face the podium, talking to him about fruit flies?
Thanks Beebub. Yes, that was me.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:36 pm

I really, really can't let this go!

Lenihan was on Eamon Dunphy's radio show this morning where he said he is a former executive of Esat Digiphone, obviously owned by Denis O'Brien. Perhaps the request for money for the book from O'Brien came from the Minister for Science on behalf of his constituent??
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Keep picking away - remember Watergate.
There is obviously a connection here but is it any more than the usual connections among our ruling elite?
I suspect that if the question was put to John-Joe himself, he might let his mouth run away with him. If someone were to ring him up and ask him how sales are going etc...