Hate give this guy publicity but...

Discussions and related news items
Ciaran

Re: Hate give this guy publicity but...

Post by Ciaran » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Beebub wrote:Have you a link to that story Ciaran?

Actually, no. It was more an email Catarina Wahlbeck sent me. I'd heard via a mate that a few people had mailed Nilsson so I mailed the company last night, after reading what May did on his "forum", just to see had anything come of it. May had deleted every negative post and just insults anyone who asks a question via his sock puppets. The forum is a dead zone now; I read the entire thing in about ten minutes there's so little left on it.

Anyway, it appears they'd been made aware of the book last week and are on it. I recall a fellow G&G party attendee saying he wondered if Nilsson had given permission, given the regard he is held in by the scientific commmunity and the regard he has forscience & nature so I'd say he was well squelt on.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Has anyone seen the book? Does it give a publisher's name or a line thanking any foundation for help?
He self published and appears to have been funded by his brother. He may not be brother-funded though, I was just told that by a couple of friends and a neighbour of his on the night plus May claimed his brother has the ten grand for the prize but I wouldn't base too much on that claim.

Here's the link to the company he published through (printed might be a better term as if they had any role in editing and formatting they should be shot). Notice the section they filed it under in the URL; mind, body, spirit. http://originalwriting.ie/bookshop/non- ... -nonsense/
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Ciaran wrote:
Feardorcha wrote:Has anyone seen the book? Does it give a publisher's name or a line thanking any foundation for help?
He self published and appears to have been funded by his brother. He may not be brother-funded though, I was just told that by a couple of friends and a neighbour of his on the night plus May claimed his brother has the ten grand for the prize but I wouldn't base too much on that claim.

Here's the link to the company he published through (printed might be a better term as if they had any role in editing and formatting they should be shot). Notice the section they filed it under in the URL; mind, body, spirit. http://originalwriting.ie/bookshop/non- ... -nonsense/
My sources tell me that if this is brother funded, it isn't the first time. He has two brothers who are quite successful buisnessmen.

There is a bigger story here if this man is truly a friend of Conor Lenihan.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:58 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:My sources tell me that if this is brother funded, it isn't the first time. He has two brothers who are quite successful buisnessmen.

I dunno; I have "links" to three real scummy criminals; they are tenuous and I'm not involved but if you wanted you could spin it that way. It wouldn't be fair to over-state Lenihans involvement without serious evidence of wrong-doing; I think this was an act of poor judgement,low awareness of what his job means & parish pump nonsense rather than criminal corruption. If May's brothers wish to fund his ideas, schemes and books with their private money, that's up to them. Even if there was a Denis O'Brien connection to all this, as long as it was Denis' own cash that he threw away on this tripe, it's a non-story. Look through the publishers site; the book seems to have cost about 1500 euro for a basic run, so maybe a couple of grand for the books we saw at the event & the stock in the couple of shops that took it. Few bob more for posters. Even with the ads on Newstalk it's buttons to a family that have money. I'd be very cautious with the comments.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Ciaran wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:My sources tell me that if this is brother funded, it isn't the first time. He has two brothers who are quite successful buisnessmen.

I dunno; I have "links" to three real scummy criminals; they are tenuous and I'm not involved but if you wanted you could spin it that way. It wouldn't be fair to over-state Lenihans involvement without serious evidence of wrong-doing; I think this was an act of poor judgement,low awareness of what his job means & parish pump nonsense rather than criminal corruption. If May's brothers wish to fund his ideas, schemes and books with their private money, that's up to them. Even if there was a Denis O'Brien connection to all this, as long as it was Denis' own cash that he threw away on this tripe, it's a non-story. Look through the publishers site; the book seems to have cost about 1500 euro for a basic run, so maybe a couple of grand for the books we saw at the event & the stock in the couple of shops that took it. Few bob more for posters. Even with the ads on Newstalk it's buttons to a family that have money. I'd be very cautious with the comments.
OK. Forgetting Lenihan, I know people who have worked with this man.
Last edited by bipedalhumanoid on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:24 pm

He's outing himself as a global warming denialist as well as an evolution denialist.
There's a surprise.
http://www.atheist.ie/2010/09/gorillas- ... /#comments

I wonder what his take is on the earth going round the sun is.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Ciaran wrote:Anyway, it appears they'd been made aware of the book last week and are on it. I recall a fellow G&G party attendee saying he wondered if Nilsson had given permission, given the regard he is held in by the scientific commmunity and the regard he has forscience & nature so I'd say he was well squelt on.
Ciaran, did you hear any more on this? Have the publishers taken things any further?
Rogan
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Rogan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Rogan wrote:Following on from my emailed complaint to Conor Lenihan's office, he's expressed an interest in speaking with me, I'd imagine this is because I highlighted my address, which is in his constituency. If there's any specific questions you would like me to put to him, please feel free to post them here and I'll do my best to get them answered.
Maybe it won't surprise you, but I never received a phone call from our so called Minister for Science.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:04 am

Rogan,

Did he not offer to meet you? Follow it up and meet with him. If you get the opportunity, you could post here for what type of question you could aks him.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Beebub wrote:
Ciaran wrote:Anyway, it appears they'd been made aware of the book last week and are on it. I recall a fellow G&G party attendee saying he wondered if Nilsson had given permission, given the regard he is held in by the scientific commmunity and the regard he has forscience & nature so I'd say he was well squelt on.
Ciaran, did you hear any more on this? Have the publishers taken things any further?
Haven't heard a thing since and I don't think I will if it goes legal. I'd say keep an eye on his site and the publishers site too.