Atheist Ireland Member

Online petition for Conor Lenihan to resign

Post by Rogan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:22 am

Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Online petition for Conor Lenihan to resign

Post by Dev » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:59 am

I signed it but online petitions are never effective.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:32 am

Excellent. Done.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:38 am

To be honest, aside from the fact that online petitions are ineffective, I think that calling for heads on every issue doesn't make us look particularly reasonable. This was a single, easily targetted issue that, while it was embarrassing and showed the minister's lack of scientific understanding, should not be a resigning issue. Would it not be better to call for a meeting where we could discuss how far wrong he is to support a YEC author? If we have to call for his resignation, would it not be more relevent to do so on the grounds that Irish scientific research funding is being cut, that science teaching here is a joke, that the international as well as domestic calls for maths and science in schools to be sorted out are being paid lip service and little else? We could ask him to spend his evenings haranguing the minister for education and the other ministers in his own area of enterprise rather than going to a Gorillas and Girls Party so rediculous that I would not have been surprised to find out was a prank. We could ask him to work closely with the science industry and universities to find out what they really need, how the money can be best used and what other supports the state can give. He may ignore us but if we just say 'Resign!' he definitely will.

If every time something silly happens in government (and no matter who is in, government will make silly mistakes) we call for heads, we will simply cut off any hope of dialogue and any hope we'll get anywhere. Our blasphemy campaign made good headway partly because the same minister was in office for the duration and following a initial freeze we were able to begin a dialogue with his office.

Personally, I think this government is dead in the water but if Cowan is intent in keeping the corpse floating these are the people we have to live with for now. I think Lenihan got the job because of his name and no other reason but just calling for his resignation serves no purpose other than making us feel better.

Rogan, he expressed an interest in meeting you. I think you should jump at the chance to educate a minister and to ask him if he has any notion how important science is.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:47 pm

I agree

It was bad judgement alight but he corrected the error and did not attend.

Now if he had I might of signed.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver