1983 Article on "Mystery Heavenly Body"

Discussions and related news items
Ciaran

1983 Article on "Mystery Heavenly Body"

Post by Ciaran » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:17 pm

I remember reading about this when I was a kid. It was a legit article in the Washington Post that described the discovery of a dark object in the direction of Orion. At the time astronomers didn't know what it was, how big it was or how far away it was. Here's the original* article - http://web.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/tches ... bject.html

I was looking for some real information on it and can only find loolah crap about Nabiru and a race of planet builders. It seems to have found a real place in the hearts of the woo merchants. Anyone know what it turned out to be, if anything?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: 1983 Article on "Mystery Heavenly Body"

Post by Ygern » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 pm

I think this was one of those classic Bad Science Reporting of a genuine paper by a journalist who wanted to sex up a story, as far as I can tell IRAS staff identified the stuff themselves less than 2 years later as nothing very exciting, just very cold gas & dust grains that is called "interstellar cirrus".

There's a paper on it here.
I haven't a clue what they're on about, it's all Greek to me

Ah! Thank god for Phil Plait! His original Bad Astronomy site is still up. I knew that if anyone would debunk this in plain English it would be him!

The IRAS Incident
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics