Discussions and related news items
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

The future of our world

Post by Ygern » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Quite cleverly put together by animated gif

http://i.imgur.com/ekTX1.gif
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: The future of our world

Post by Dev » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:33 am

Wow, I was expecting timelines of 10-1000 years ahead. It's obviously bit more ambitious than that with the opening slide being 50,000+ years in the future.

I remember finding out about Red Dwarfs in science class years ago. Depressing to realize that Earth is doomed and that it is inevitable.

I remember hearing that before that happens there is like a 100 other things that will almost certainly kill us including the moon orbiting too far away and the earth losing it's gyroscope relationship that keeps us the right distance from the sun, super volcanoes in yellowstone and of course massive asteroids.

The idea of a super continent bothers me as well. I don't like big bodies of water and a single super continent will also mean a single super ocean. I can appreciate that the amount of water won't change but a giant ocean, it's just creepy. All that endless water.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:40 am

It will be Waterworld! :o

I'm not that clued up on what that would mean for global weather, but I am pretty sure it would lead to massive storms on a regular basis.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
GazUtd
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GazUtd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:22 am

Dev wrote:The idea of a super continent bothers me as well.
Me too.

Living that close to Americans. :shudder: :lol:
Humans are an intelligent species. We just aren't smart enough to realise how stupid we are.

Wouldn't life be great if the 8 hours spent in bed were as long as the 8 hours spent in work.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:09 am

Dev wrote:Wow, I was expecting timelines of 10-1000 years ahead. It's obviously bit more ambitious than that with the opening slide being 50,000+ years in the future.
I've just finished reading Evolution by Stephen Baxter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_(novel)

In his novel he goes 500 million years into the future - and we aint getting any smarter! :lol:
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers