Creationism is all around us.

Discussions and related news items
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Creationism is all around us.

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 am

So while the DUP up North have been hammering away with their Creationist Ideals and our own Science Minister has been launching Anti Evolution Texts using his elected office title to do so.... a group in Scotland have now joined the fray.

Headed by "a Northern Irish professor of genetics" the group has already been asked to speak in schools in Scotland.

Their geneticist leader believes Adam was “a real historical person” among other claims such as "the universe is created in six days, God makes Eve out of Adam’s rib, and Noah saves the Earth by building an ark."

Even more incredibly however, they claim that the theory of intelligent design is not religious in nature... a true leap of faith if ever I heard one.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Creationism is all around us.

Post by chemicals » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 am

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:So while the DUP up North have been hammering away with their Creationist Ideals and our own Science Minister has been launching Anti Evolution Texts using his elected office title to do so.... a group in Scotland have now joined the fray.
well he did pull out in the end -probably after pressure from various sources
Update: Irish Science Minister Lenihan withdraws from launching anti-evolution
Even more incredibly however, they claim that the theory of intelligent design is not religious in nature....
straight out of the creationist institute manual that one
والقس هو مجنون
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:17 pm

The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:03 pm

I read somewhere that scottish "scientists" are now going around school that god created the world. I will post a link later as this is my mobile... yeah I am down with the kids me! :wink:
Last edited by Tulip1 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
GazUtd
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GazUtd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:17 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:So while the DUP up North have been hammering away with their Creationist Ideals

Well I suppose it's nice to see them hammering away at something other than rent boys or their/other people's wives :twisted:
Humans are an intelligent species. We just aren't smart enough to realise how stupid we are.

Wouldn't life be great if the 8 hours spent in bed were as long as the 8 hours spent in work.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:06 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Even more incredibly however, they claim that the theory of intelligent design is not religious in nature... a true leap of faith if ever I heard one.
Quite staggeringly incredible. How can someone with the intelligence to get a degree in genetics come out with such blatantly self-contradictory circular reasoning as to claim that: "ID is science not religion" and then go on to support this view by citing "107 references to Genesis in the Bible"?
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:42 pm

Here's the center for intelligent design website http://www.c4id.org.uk/. Scary stuff, they're using the Kalam cosmological argument in their "Was there a cause of the universe?" section here http://www.c4id.org.uk/index.php?option ... r-articles
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 am

Ter wrote:Here's the center for intelligent design website http://www.c4id.org.uk/. Scary stuff, they're using the Kalam cosmological argument in their "Was there a cause of the universe?" section here http://www.c4id.org.uk/index.php?option ... r-articles
Interesting how he can think like this and not see the circular reasoning in his own argument. He's effectively saying:

P1. The modern concept of God is an eternal, non-physical first cause creator.
P.2. According to the Kalam principle, the universe must have had a first cause.
P3. Infinity is physically impossible and nothing can cause itself.
C. Therefore something non-physical and eternal must have caused the universe - and that thing must be god.

i.e. Right back where he started.

He seems to miss a couple of other key points:

Firstly the possibility that the non-physical, eternal, creating first cause he talks about, could actually be a wholly natural phenomenon of some kind beyond our current knowledge. And instead leaps to the conclusion that it must be a jealous, wrathful, vengeance driven supernatural god cooked up by iron age nomads.

And secondly, in 'proving' that infinite time is mathematically impossible - he also proves the impossibility of an eternal god. Eternity is infinite time. Infinite time is either impossible, or possible, but not both at the same time. If it's possible for god to exist eternally, it's possible for the universe to exist eternally too. If one is impossible - so is the other.

The most likely explanation for all of this, of course, is that God exists in a place outside of reality, i.e. is not real.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk