Indian court rules astrology is a science

Discussions and related news items
bockedy

Indian court rules astrology is a science

Post by bockedy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 pm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 418795.cms

possible nominee for Feb Really True Believer perhaps?
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Indian court rules astrology is a science

Post by Bik » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:06 pm

bockedy wrote:
possible nominee for Feb Really True Believer perhaps?
A potential winner for the 2011 award I would think!
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 pm

I'll consider psychology (no offense to psychologists but it's based on secondhand subjective information) a science long before I'll consider astrology. What's up with this world, all the scientific fields are suffering, due to lack of college/university admissions, and everything that isn't based on solid testable abservational data is clamouring to be called "science". :?
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 am

Ter wrote:I'll consider psychology (no offense to psychologists but it's based on secondhand subjective information) a science long before I'll consider astrology. What's up with this world, all the scientific fields are suffering, due to lack of college/university admissions, and everything that isn't based on solid testable abservational data is clamouring to be called "science". :?
Does anyone actually try to claim psychology is a science? I thought it was fairly clear that it isn't. It certainly has its place while we wait for neurology to get up to speed.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:45 am

I thought it was classed as a pseudo science (do you say that in english?) because it's all theories based on scientific evidence and research but we connot (yet) scientificly proof if theories are correct .
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:37 pm

It usually gets classified as a Social Science, although medical schools also teach courses.
It tries to be evidence-based, but it is very much a field in its infancy and will probably never come into its own until science produces a (working) theory of mind. As bipedalhumanoid points out, that is heavily dependent on neurology. With fMRI machines more readily available these days this is at last becoming an attainable goal although I haven't heard anyone certain enough to estimate an arrival date for this breakthrough.

It's worth having a look at the Beyond Belief talks by Ramachandra 2006 & 2007. It's not fair to call it pseudoscience, its a field of study where they as of yet don't have all the necessary tools to fully understand the observations they make.

However, that said, what gives the field a bad name is: too many relatively unqualified non-medically trained psychologists who are really glorified mental massage-therapists; and even worse; the number of GPs who have no special knowledge in the field who nevertheless prescribe quite serious medication for depressed patients. In both cases however, they probably do some good, and no doubt thousands of people do benefit.

As far as this case goes, India has a strong tradition of astrology going back centuries, they even have an impressive-looking observatory for it. It usually mistakenly get described as an astronomy centre seeing as it genuinely does align with constellations. It's only when you venture inside & realise that your 99% accurate personalised life horoscope can be read for the low, low price of 500 rupees that your realise that in fact the "m" should have been an "l" in the guide-book. Clearly in this case the judge was scientific illiterate, first for judging what amounts to cold-reading a science, and second for thinking that scientific questions get decided by lawsuits. I would imagine that its an easy enough case to overturn on a appeal if you had the time & money for it, and you would need a lot of it seeing as this was apparently based on a Supreme Court ruling.

The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:40 pm

I found before that the term pseudo science is percieved as very negative in english. We call things like archeology and psychology that just based on the fact that the tools are not there (yet) to make it a full science.

What is the correct english term?
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:23 pm

I don't know if English has such a word. Pseudo-science implies that there is no science at all, it just pretends to be science e.g. homeopathy, astrology

Any field of research that tries to rigorously adhere to the scientific method is technically a science. It would only not be science if the theory was completely untestable e.g. god speaks to me in my heart

I don't know if there is a word that classifies serious fields of research that may lack sufficient tools that can definitively test its theories.
For example, string theory can only be tested mathematically, no way will we build machines to test these hypothoses in the near future - maybe never. I don't know if we have a word for it other than hypothesis to denote that is is still not completely demonstrated.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:55 pm

well that clearyfies why people take/took it different from what I ment/mean! LOL.

PS. what is that building in your picture?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:08 pm

It's the Observatory in Jaipur, India which turns out to be an astrology centre in spite of its rather impressive buildings: http://www.newsfinder.org/site/more/18t ... at_jaipur/

Out of interest, what is the word in Dutch? It doesn't surprise me to learn that there is a word in Dutch that has no equivalent in English. Or rather, English requires a phrase to express what Dutch has contained in a single word.
Cork Skeptics