Indian court rules astrology is a science

Discussions and related news items
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Indian court rules astrology is a science

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Tulip1 wrote:We would not class computers under science, well depends software wouldn't be but developing new computer systems would be, I think.
That's a very strange distinction. So people involved in artificial intelligence research are not scientists, yet people who build computers are?

The division has nothing to do with software or hardware. There are scientific research projects on either side and also commercial projects that would not be regarded as "science".
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 pm

No I think that research into new technology is more classed as science. That's what I ment by system but ofcourse that is the wrong term in this case since new computer systems could be made by existing technology.

There is indeed a fine line though, and as said I am not a 100%sure this is the way it is classified at all. I never use the term "computer wetenschap" (computer science), but I can't say with certainty it does or doesn't exist as a subject in uni's in Holland.

I would have to inform if you really like to know.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Tulip1 wrote:No I think that research into new technology is more classed as science.
That's what I ment by system but ofcourse that is the wrong term in this case since new computer systems could be made by existing technology.
I'd call that engineering or Research & Development.
Tulip1 wrote: I never use the term "computer wetenschap" (computer science), but I can't say with certainty it does or doesn't exist as a subject in uni's in Holland.
In Australia, at least when I was studying, very few universities actually offer computer science degrees. Those that do teach the scientific side of computer science. The degree that budding programmers, software engineers & It professionals go for is called called a Bachelor of Information Technology.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Ireland seems to have a system where everything either comes under the banner of an arts degree or a science degree. Even a Bathelor of Information Systems is a "science degree". The Australian BIT is neither an arts nor a science degree. It's an IT degree.

On the other hand if you claimed to have an 'IT degree' here, people would think you're saying you attended an Institute of Technology. So it would be confusing.

Post Edit:

Anyway, my point being that, if the Netherlands use a similar system to Australia, I wouldn't expect the average person to hear much about computer science.
Last edited by bipedalhumanoid on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:45 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Ireland seems to have a system where everything either comes under the banner of an arts degree or a science degree. Even a Bathelor of Information Systems is a "science degree". The Australian BIT is neither an arts nor a science degree. It's an IT degree.
Trinity takes that one step further and awards many of it's course even some science ones as a B.A. or a B.A.(Mod), this is a historical thing though.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:03 pm

We have a different system in naming the grades for sure. I am not familiar with the aussie system at all.

Our engineering degree is very different too. As I said before that is one we can't properly translate. We have a engineering degree on phd level. I don't get why they not standerize this (at least within the EU).
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Dev wrote:Trinity takes that one step further and awards many of it's course even some science ones as a B.A. or a B.A.(Mod), this is a historical thing though.
very true and very confusing trying to explain to employers why you'r applying for a job in a lab with a BA ! people never notice or understand the (mod) bit :?
والقس هو مجنون
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:48 pm

LOL it is really time someone make a standard for all these degrees!!

I thought they were making a EU standard through the levels or did I misunderstood that?
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:21 am

Tulip1 wrote:We have a different system in naming the grades for sure. I am not familiar with the aussie system at all.
The only relevant point you have to understand about the Australian system is that there isn't much reference to the term 'computer science'. We're talking about use of language here.

What I'm suggesting is that the field of "computer science" may well exist in your universities in the same way it does in Australia, in which case I wouldn't expect the general population to be familiar with the term.
Tulip wrote: so basically in the english laguage you have science and exact science? LOL the one science is just a bit more exact than the other?
"Exact science" is not used in this context. An exact science is something like physics or chemistry. It's a term used to differentiate those fields from ones like medicine which operates at a much higher level and is foreced to make a lot more assumptions. Psychology isn't an exact science or an non-exact science. It simply is not science.