Discussions and related news items
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

possible evidence of alien life in meteors

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:22 pm

didn't read the journal yet but it is interesting:

http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
mkaobrih

Re: possible evidence of alien life in meteors

Post by mkaobrih » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:12 pm

I’d like to believe this but I think its just NASA trying to maintain media interest.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
NorthOfTheBorder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by NorthOfTheBorder » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:23 pm

P.Z. Meyers appears less than convinced....
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... bacter.php

Apart from anything else, if, as P.Z. says, Fox News ran with the story, that would tend to trigger my bullshitometer. They were they guys who ran a story about UFOs in the skies over New York last year without doing the research (like, e.g. talking to an astronomer) that would have revealed the "UFO"s to be Jupiter, some of its moons, and some balloons that were released earlier that day. Apart from Fox News' general lack of credibility, of course :)
“I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong”

Richard Feynman on doubt,uncertainty and religion
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It's not "nonsense" - it's just far from proven.

It is a genuine paper, but the powers that be are sensibly letting other people examine the evidence before making any conclusions.
Yes, Fox News is not where you go for news on anything. :)

Richard Dawkins said:
This is not the first time such exciting stories have been published, and so far none of them has held up. The paper by Hoover is in the Journal of Cosmology, here. Recognising, perhaps, that 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence', the journal has taken the unusual, and praiseworthy step of inviting 100 experts to write critical assessments, which they say they are going to publish alongside Hoover's paper from 7th to 10th March. Naturally I hope the evidence stands up, but hope is a long way from expectation.
http://richarddawkins.net/discussions/5 ... meteorites
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
marklen
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by marklen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:19 am

No really, it is bullshit. Read the paper, look at the photos. If that guy ever goes outside and looks at clouds his head will explode.

Then have a browse around that site for a while and make your own judgement as to whether this really counts as peer reviewed scientific literature.

And I can't find any press release directly from NASA, or anything on nasa.gov that indicates this is NASA officially publishing anything.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:00 am

Not even Phil Plait is that dismissive, and he has reason to be antagonistic:
So, to conclude: a claim has been made about micro-fossils in a meteorite. The claims are interesting, the pictures intriguing, but we are a long, long way from knowing whether the claim is valid or not! We’ve been down this road before and been disappointed. As with any scientific claim, skepticism is needed, and in the case of extraordinary claims, well, you know the saying.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... more-29102

I don't disagree that it is not even remotely proven, and that they could very well be completely wrong.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 am

They do claim it is under peer review, did anyone confirm that in the sources you all mention?

What is the general comments?
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:06 am

I have had experience with this "journal" before too. It is not a peer review journal, its a pay us enough and we will publish anything journal and call it peer reviewed for you.

There is a guy who spends most of his time claiming to spot UFOs who posted recently over on Politics.ie that he had a paper published in that "journal" that disproves much of Einstein and Newton for example and that everything we hold currently as true about the "big Bang" is currently false. He posts as akl1951 over there but is a known UFO crank http://www.dwarkaparichay.com/AshwaniKumarLal.htm

So I am afraid I will not even be bothered reading the paper until any such findings appear somewhere credible first.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 am

from ygerns link
I’d like to see other biologists examining the original meteorite, too. Interestingly, the editors for the journal in which this paper is published understand how controversial this claim is, so they have asked 100 expert scientists to review the work and critique it. Those reviews have not yet been published, so we’ll see; the editors say the reviews will go online in a few days.
It will be interesting to see what the othe 100 experts have to say and who they are.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:09 am

Tulip1 wrote:
It will be interesting to see what the othe 100 experts have to say and who they are.
These guys perhaps

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/scien ... 1peti.html
والقس هو مجنون