How to make Creationists Speechless

Discussions and related news items
Wened

How to make Creationists Speechless

Post by Wened » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:39 pm

How to make Creationists Speechless by Netwriter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdEIRgA ... grec_index

Sounds interesting but i'm not sure if that would make them shut up.
"They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to middle Earth." - George RR Martin
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: How to make Creationists Speechless

Post by Mirthomaniac » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Hrm, I've heard of this approach too. I don't know how many times 'real world evidence' demands have been made, and they just don't work. These people are just in the business of parroting tired arguments.

Also, I only know one creationist, and when I ask her for 'evidence', she attempts to make use of 'personal experience' as evidence. This isn't just a creationist thing, it happened here I'm sure. In one of these vids, a person makes a claim that religion saved her life, and when Dawkins dismisses that as evidence, someone shouts 'you don't want to hear her evidence!'

It's a pointless debate imo.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:08 pm

If reason & evidence convinced Creationists then there wouldn't be any. There are a few rare cases where the facts have convinced a previous believer - Michael Shermer is one such person. But mostly they fall into two categories:

Believers out of ignorance
People who don't know any better: this lot haven't a clue, they are repeating what they have been told is the truth by people they trust, usually a minister who likewise has a very poor grasp on the concept of evidence and biology. They don't understand very much about what they are saying and wouldn't know evidence if it bit them on the bum.

Believers for religio-political reasons
These are people who ought to know better but have decided to deliberately ignore evidence because they believe in their cause. They are often well-educated and their ability to express their ideas with confidence and long important-sounding words manages to completely take in the less educated. In some cases these guys simply make the mistake of cherry-picking "evidence" that they think supports their ideas and ignore anything that refutes their ideas. In more blatant cases they quite openly dismiss the evidence just because they don't like it.
Kurt Wise (Harvard educated)
As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate. Here I must stand.
Sometimes that quote makes me want to cry. Then it makes me angry that someone so smart could be so freaking stupid.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Wened

Post by Wened » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:10 pm

People like this make me very sad, sad panda.
"They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to middle Earth." - George RR Martin
oldrnwisr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by oldrnwisr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:02 pm

This idea most definitely does not work. I put it into practice in a debate I'm having with a catholic creationist on P.ie and it made no difference. Like Richard Dawkins said they just stick their fingers in their ears and choose not to listen. They argue dishonestly, mangle science and peddle the same tired crap. The best bet, I've learned (the hard way), is to not debate these IDiots.
"Science doesn't know everything. Religion doesn't know anything." AronRa - WAC 2011
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Here's a choice quote from Richard Dawkins which sums up why it's impossible to debate or even try to convince a creationist that they're wrong.

"...because what they do is simply stick their fingers in their ear and say la la la. They know what's true because it's in the holy book. The most extreme case is the geologist Kurt Wise who has a Phd in Geology from Harvard and said, "If all the evidence in the universe pointed towards an old earth, I would be the first to admit it but I would still be a young earth creationist because that is what holy scripture teaches me. You cannot argue with a mind like that. A mind like that seems to me is, well, a disgrace to the human species."

Edit: Just saw Ygern's post so mine is somewhat irrelevant. :P
Mr Kequc

Post by Mr Kequc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:46 pm

This is a very bad title.

It's kin to Creationist videos titled "How to make an atheist speechless", which really is a lot easier to do. I can be rendered speechless by a theist with very little effort on their part.

Generally the less effort they put in, the more quickly I become speechless.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Mr Kequc wrote:Generally the less effort they put in, the more quickly I become speechless.
:lol:

True! Speechless and spellbound. I can't get enough of the creationist brigade. There is just such an enormous amount of actual evidence in favour of evolution and an old Earth that it really does take a special kind of idiot to argue against it.

It's funny when it's fringe elements, but in 2006 for his annual 'Ratzinger Schulerkreis' (students' circle) of former students, he chose the topic "Creation and Evolution." Take that with the fact that during his first sermon as Pope he said: "We are not the accidental product, without meaning, of evolution.", and it's not so funny any more.

So as wacky as creationism seems to us, it is something we need to be vigilant about. And as pointless as it might be to debate them, (as the quote from Richard Dawkins that Byron gave makes out) there is some risk in never calling these people on what they say. Their followers may never get to hear the actual evidence otherwise.

Ratzinger's 2006 Schulerkreis on "Creation and Evolution.":
http://ncronline.org/blogs/all-things-c ... -evolution
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)