Need more info
23%

Total votes: 26
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Genetically Modified Food Yes No?

Post by Feardorcha » Mon May 16, 2011 9:32 am

As a plant scientist, I see no reason to pollute the planet with GM stock. The control mechanisms are far too flakey. It behoves that sector of science and its financial sponsors in the 'food industry' to put the controls and limitations in place before opening Pandora's box. The nuclear industry didn't and now we are paying the price.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 am

It has a few different positives; less use of chemicals/pesticides, more crop for the ever growing world population and less water needed to grow the crops. A lot of GM is put to these kind of uses in third world countries.

On the other hand we don't know if it will effect anything in the long term but in my opinion, we don't have the luxury of time. In our live time the world population is doubled. around 3 billion in 1960 to 7 billion now.

Growing food is and will become an increasing problem and so will fresh water supplies. GM helps crops grow where before they would not.

I agree that we might not know the long term consequences, but I have not heard of any yet. I have to admit I didn't look for them either, so they can be out there (I would be very intersted in them).

What I basically want to say that GM is not just for profits of big food companies.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon May 16, 2011 10:08 am

The problem is the exponential growth in the human population. So why not address that?
The argument that we have to make more food to keep up with this growth, doesn't hold water. GM food is a mechanism for privitising food production and taking it out of the hands of peasant and small-scale producers and making it a monopoly of the corporations, such as Monsanto, as they would be the ones owning the only viable seeds, which can only be grown in combination with chemical interventions, which are also the property of the same companies.
Improvements in agriculture have never led to a more equitable sharing of food. The market forces still prevail and will do so when the only crops that can be grown are the property of US corporations.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:34 am

I absolutly agree with you that the world population growth should be at least stabilised. It is hard to do though since most growth happens in developing countries.

While I agree that in western countries GM might well be for privitising food production, in developing countries it is also used to provide for crops which can survive draught (spelling?) for small farmers.

It is not all done by big companies for big companies.

The fact that we are running out of fresh water and demand for it will be higher is not a small problem. The fact that the population is growing so fast and there is no effective way of adressing this issue fast, we have to think of ways to produce more food without using more land and or chemicals/pesticides unless we just want people to starve which would in turn address the population growth :wink:

I think it is an arguement holding water because it is almost impossible to stop the population growth and it is the developing countries who grow the fastest. The developed countries do decline or are stable.

An arguement could also be made that from an environmental view it would help if less nutrients were released into the habitats. In other words if we have crops in need of less furtilizers and pestcides we would have less eutrofication.

I am not disagreeing with the point you make but I think there are more considerations to be made. Maybe it is like choosing the least of two evils. I can therefore not really say that I am convinsed by either side yet.

*edit due to slow working overloaded exam brain
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Mon May 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Cairo Tango, welcome and thanks for such an informative post, more please when you have the time.

On some of the other comments about increasing food production, farmers in Ireland set land aside, and get paid to grow no-food, to keep the food prices high.

Making a simple point: At the moment I grow a few apple trees, lets say my apples get cross pollenated with a GM-apple tree, as far as I understand it the result would be: I don't own the apples on my tree.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:47 pm

aZerogodist wrote:Cairo Tango, welcome and thanks for such an informative post, more please when you have the time.

On some of the other comments about increasing food production, farmers in Ireland set land aside, and get paid to grow no-food, to keep the food prices high.

Making a simple point: At the moment I grow a few apple trees, lets say my apples get cross pollenated with a GM-apple tree, the result would be: I don't own the apples on my tree.
Point taken.
But what I said was that GM is also put to good use in developing countries who have to cope with increasing draughts. We have indeed a strange balance of over production in developed countries and food shortage in developing countries.

Yet we cannot imagine how much mouths there are to feed if the population would reach 9 billion. I totaly agree with Fear that this is an issue which should be addressed. Never the less the population will continue to grow till these measures are in place (if they ever will be).

Is there anyone that has information about side effects GM has? It is used for quite a long time in soyabeans etc, so is there any research done?

I have no time to search myself.... should not even be writing this because I have exams tomorrow!!
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Mon May 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Feardorcha wrote:As a plant scientist,
Argument from authority.
Feardorcha wrote:I see no reason to pollute the planet with GM stock.
An unsupported assertion based on your personal opinion.
Feardorcha wrote:The control mechanisms are far too flakey.
Peer reviewed evidence please?
Feardorcha wrote:It behoves that sector of science and its financial sponsors in the 'food industry' to put the controls and limitations in place before opening Pandora's box.
Science is simply a word to describe what people do when they want to better understand something by looking for evidence; it's not the responsibility of research students to place limitations on their ability to find out new things. And would you mind explaining what you mean by "opening Pandora's box"? Have you any evidence that such a metaphor is appropriate here? Please link to peer reviewed evidence if so.
Feardorcha wrote:The nuclear industry didn't and now we are paying the price.
What price are we paying exactly? I can't imagine you're referring to Fukushima, since so far only 2 people are known to have died as a result of radiation sickness, and even in Chernobyl the total number of confirmed deaths in the population is much lower than anticipated and of the type that will be prevented in the case of Fukushima through iodine treatment; in fact in terms of headcount coal power is far deadlier than nuclear power.

Would you rather live in the middle ages?
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon May 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Cairo Tango: As a plant scientist
Feardorcha wrote: "As a plant scientist", to expose with irony the pompous argument from authority of the earlier poster.

And Dr R says of Fukishima "only 2 people are known to have died as a result of radiation sickness" :lol:

Before entering into a polemic, I would need proof that you are a real doctor.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Feardorcha wrote:
Cairo Tango: As a plant scientist
Feardorcha wrote: "As a plant scientist", to expose with irony the pompous argument from authority of the earlier poster.

And Dr R says of Fukishima "only 2 people are known to have died as a result of radiation sickness" :lol:

Before entering into a polemic, I would need proof that you are a real doctor.
I didn't see Cairo Tango's post as an argument from authority; it read as a (perhaps overly technical but nonetheless interesting) list of achievements of contemporary science. The post was mainly about non food-related genetic engineering. Is it that you are idealogically opposed to GM science, irrespective of whether its products enter the human food chain?

Re Fukushima, I was wrong about the 2 people (they died from injuries sustained during the original earthquake). As far as we know, no one has yet received a lethal dose of radiation as a result of the explosions at the plant.

And I don't think whether I'm a doctor or not is relevant to anything. My username should not be taken as an attempt on my part to assert unwarranted authority! :lol:
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:52 pm

My username should not be taken as an attempt on my part to assert unwarranted authority!
You should put that in your signature as a diclaimer!