Abiogenesis: Lightning striking a mud puddle?

Discussions and related news items
mrodub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Abiogenesis: Lightning striking a mud puddle?

Post by mrodub » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi all just though i would post my new vid for those interested. It’s a topic that comes up alot for us so i thought it may be helpful for those who engage in the debates or even those who are just interested in where we came from etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCj0MVJIh0

Make sure you give me a thumbs up lol
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Abiogenesis: Lightning striking a mud puddle?

Post by Mirthomaniac » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:13 pm

I liked it, and subbed as well for good measure. 8) Did you watch DonExodus2's Abiogenesis vid also? These videos take the 'dryness' out of reading a textbook on the subject, something I've grown somewhat tired of doing. :D

It's a good video. I hate to be a pedant, since the video is more or less spot on AFAIK, but the 'lipids' mentioned as being important to 'cell walls' are presumably meant to be important to 'cell membranes'. Just a fairly minor detail. Oh, and 'stromalites' are presumably meant to be 'stromatolites'. Again, sorry for the pedantry since I did watch and enjoy the video.
mrodub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by mrodub » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:57 pm

Mirthomaniac wrote:I liked it, and subbed as well for good measure. 8) Did you watch DonExodus2's Abiogenesis vid also? These videos take the 'dryness' out of reading a textbook on the subject, something I've grown somewhat tired of doing. :D

It's a good video. I hate to be a pedant, since the video is more or less spot on AFAIK, but the 'lipids' mentioned as being important to 'cell walls' are presumably meant to be important to 'cell membranes'. Just a fairly minor detail. Oh, and 'stromalites' are presumably meant to be 'stromatolites'. Again, sorry for the pedantry since I did watch and enjoy the video.
No please your criticisms are constructive and welcome and thanks for the sub, to address you in a backwards fashion and take the second point first you are correct I mispronounced it lol I was hoping no one would notice lol. On the first point, lipids are used in both cell wall and membrane. The membrane is phospholipids as you denoted but cell wall structure contains lipids as well. If you see the article in skeptic I posted in the description, the reference to early cell structure and composition comes from that article. You are right though I could have used it either way or both but I really only touched on this topic in general as I only had 15 mins to cover as much as possible. There are a few things in the vid similar to that which I am not happy about as enough detail was not imparted but I just could not fit it all in. The original version of that vid was over 25 mins so it is stripped to the essentials.
Yes I have seen DonExodus2's vids I am subbed to him he has a good channel. Aron Ra’s channel is my favourite though he packs tons of info into only a few mins in a manner I simply cannot. He certainly takes the dryness to use your expression, out of the learning. Have you seen his channel, I think you may like it?
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Mirthomaniac » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:24 pm

mrodub wrote: No please your criticisms are constructive and welcome and thanks for the sub, to address you in a backwards fashion and take the second point first you are correct I mispronounced it lol I was hoping no one would notice lol. On the first point, lipids are used in both cell wall and membrane. The membrane is phospholipids as you denoted but cell wall structure contains lipids as well. If you see the article in skeptic I posted in the description, the reference to early cell structure and composition comes from that article. You are right though I could have used it either way or both but I really only touched on this topic in general as I only had 15 mins to cover as much as possible. There are a few things in the vid similar to that which I am not happy about as enough detail was not imparted but I just could not fit it all in. The original version of that vid was over 25 mins so it is stripped to the essentials.
Yes I have seen DonExodus2's vids I am subbed to him he has a good channel. Aron Ra’s channel is my favourite though he packs tons of info into only a few mins in a manner I simply cannot. He certainly takes the dryness to use your expression, out of the learning. Have you seen his channel, I think you may like it?
I've seen Aron Ra all right, and many such vids of the sort.

I never really associate lipids with cell walls all that much, but then again I've preferred chemistry over biology this year so I should probably get back to studying 8)
mrodub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by mrodub » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Mirthomaniac wrote:
mrodub wrote: No please your criticisms are constructive and welcome and thanks for the sub, to address you in a backwards fashion and take the second point first you are correct I mispronounced it lol I was hoping no one would notice lol. On the first point, lipids are used in both cell wall and membrane. The membrane is phospholipids as you denoted but cell wall structure contains lipids as well. If you see the article in skeptic I posted in the description, the reference to early cell structure and composition comes from that article. You are right though I could have used it either way or both but I really only touched on this topic in general as I only had 15 mins to cover as much as possible. There are a few things in the vid similar to that which I am not happy about as enough detail was not imparted but I just could not fit it all in. The original version of that vid was over 25 mins so it is stripped to the essentials.
I've seen Aron Ra all right, and many such vids of the sort.

I never really associate lipids with cell walls all that much, but then again I've preferred chemistry over biology this year so I should probably get back to studying 8)
Ah a chemist, check out C0nc0rdance he as a great channel he did a brief review and criticism of the vid for me before i put it online. I don’t think you need to worry about the study lol i bet not one other person sees that in the vid, and after all you were correct as lipids are important to cell membranes lol. C0nc0rdance does allot of chemistry on his channel as well, interesting stuff but not my strong point. I study psychology and sociology but i really love biology particularly neurology and will probably do my masters in Neuropsychology
Here is that channel if you want to check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/C0nc0rdance
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Mirthomaniac » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:06 pm

mrodub wrote: Ah a chemist, check out C0nc0rdance he as a great channel he did a brief review and criticism of the vid for me before i put it online. I don’t think you need to worry about the study lol i bet not one other person sees that in the vid, and after all you were correct as lipids are important to cell membranes lol. C0nc0rdance does allot of chemistry on his channel as well, interesting stuff but not my strong point. I study psychology and sociology but i really love biology particularly neurology and will probably do my masters in Neuropsychology
Not quite a chemist! Didn't do it for the leaving and only took it up for first year at college, which is complete apart from the minor details of exams.

I like biology of course, but I find it rather too qualitative for my liking. I know my vesicles from my micelles, sure, but I find something more empowering about thermodynamics and synthetic chem (so far).

But I'm just a yokel (read: Junior Fresh) at the moment so who knows.

Cheers for the link. I was watching your Hamza v Nugent commentary too so thanks for sharing that.

(I thought of making videos, incidentally, but I don't have the time or the patience for it. I love writing fiction and recently did an essay on religion but that's about it).
mrodub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by mrodub » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Mirthomaniac wrote:
mrodub wrote: Ah a chemist, check out C0nc0rdance he as a great channel he did a brief review and criticism of the vid for me before i put it online. I don’t think you need to worry about the study lol i bet not one other person sees that in the vid, and after all you were correct as lipids are important to cell membranes lol. C0nc0rdance does allot of chemistry on his channel as well, interesting stuff but not my strong point. I study psychology and sociology but i really love biology particularly neurology and will probably do my masters in Neuropsychology
Not quite a chemist! Didn't do it for the leaving and only took it up for first year at college, which is complete apart from the minor details of exams.

I like biology of course, but I find it rather too qualitative for my liking. I know my vesicles from my micelles, sure, but I find something more empowering about thermodynamics and synthetic chem (so far).

But I'm just a yokel (read: Junior Fresh) at the moment so who knows.

Cheers for the link. I was watching your Hamza v Nugent commentary too so thanks for sharing that.

(I thought of making videos, incidentally, but I don't have the time or the patience for it. I love writing fiction and recently did an essay on religion but that's about it).
You should give it a shot, don’t put yourself on any type of deadline and just do a little bit at a time whenever you feel like it.

Glad you enjoyed the Hamza critique, to be honest i could have done a ten part series on that debate but i honestly found him so annoying that i had to leave it after two vids. I could have done a way better job overall in both video editing and detailed deconstruction of his arguments, but as i denoted i found him to annoying to want to spend any more time on. I prefer john j may and people like, that as they tend to be amusing albeit unintentionally.